Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a timer to pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding a timer to pool cleaner

Not sure if this is right place or not but i am looking at adding a timer for my pool cleaner/polaris robot thingy... (Ya i am new at this). I would like to just run it a few hours everyday. I have a timer on the main pump (timer pictured) but not on 2ndary pump that runs clearer. To my understanding i would have to go out and manually turn it on and off on this set up.

What do you guys do with your cleaner? How often and how long do you run it? Wouldnt a timer be easier?

Here is a picture of the set up. The 2 switches (upper boxes - bottom 2 are outlets for landscape lighting) control the 2 pumps. Only the main pump ( right switch) is wired to the timer ( that i can trace).. The left switch controls the robot pump/jet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bhubb; 04-18-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Picture
    36,000 Gallon, 40x20 IG, Vinyl, Hayward S- 200 Sand Filter, 300,000 MasterTemp heater, 1hp Superpump, Polaris 9550 sport, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding a timer to pool cleaner

Any chance you can post your pictures directly in the thread using the How To Post Pictures tutorial?

Seems like you just need to add a timer to your booster pump, and ensure that it can not run when the main pump is turned off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Any chance you can post your pictures directly in the thread using the How To Post Pictures tutorial?

Seems like you just need to add a timer to your booster pump, and ensure that it can not run when the main pump is turned off.
    Updated. Yes i will make sure times work so both are on at same time. Is there an electronic timer that will allow me to ditch the 1 t104r and have the ability to time 2 things in series as a safety that one only turns on when the other is on?

i know every pool is different but how long does one usually run the cleaner? If said timer existed

something like the intermatic PE153?
    36,000 Gallon, 40x20 IG, Vinyl, Hayward S- 200 Sand Filter, 300,000 MasterTemp heater, 1hp Superpump, Polaris 9550 sport, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

You would think that a dual timer like that exists, I am just not sure if it does or not

You are seeing the disadvantage of the booster pressure cleaners, it is expensive to have to run 2 pumps to clean a pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I think the ET1125 series of Intermatic timers might have something that would work. You likely do not want a mechanical setup because the time clocks could get out of sync. The digital should only have 1 time clock and then 2 circuits you can set to on/off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

6. Back To Top    #6

You could power your second timer from the switched power of your main pump timer, that way the booster pump time clock cannot turn on if the main pump isn't on.

Edit: This will not work with two separate timers. See post below.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

But the timer needs constant power to keep time
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I need to go look at mine. It is wired that way now and it keeps time. My VS pump (now SWG) is wired to timer A and booster pump is wired to timer B. Timer B only powers the pump on if timer A is on.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

That can work if you have extra power wires that are constant for both clocks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, checked it out. I don't have two time clocks, I have a single device with 2 timers. This is what I have, Intermatic PF1202T Time Clock
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you for input

- - - Updated - - -

Probably a dumb question but what are my other options?

12. Back To Top    #12

- Keep manually flipping the switches
    - Tie the booster pump into the main pump timer and run it all the time. (which may not be a bad option since you should really only need to circulate the water for a few hours a day.)
    Jason, TFP Moderator