What does too much chlorine do to my water chemistry?

rsbly

Oct 16, 2014
Lothian/MD
Can someone tell me what adding too much trichlor granules will do to your water chemistry and the long term effects of this when it comes to not reducing the chlorine level but continue to try and balance your water (specifically ph)?

Some background to this question is first year of pool (2014) I had some dark marks on the pool floor. We checked the water sample and everything was within an acceptable range (balanced). To treat the marks, PB turned off equipment, added 15 X 16oz Solo cup scoops of trichlor granules into the pool, let it sit on the floor for 6 hours, then had me turn on the equipment and brush to ensure it was dissolved and off the floor.

PB instructed me to keep everything else balanced and the chlorine will burn out in time. I remember having a time keeping it balanced.

What effects does too much chlorine have when it comes to balancing the pool and getting false readings?

Thanks in advance,

Rich Bly

Rich, a high FC level (over 10) can skew pH readings making them seem high. Am exceptionally high FC level can also skew some other tests (color changes), or for people who have metal in the water cause it to precipitate out and stain the pool surfaces. But that's just chlorine in general. Now Tri-Chlor" products (i.e. tablets) typically have a blend of chlorine (FC), acid, and stabilizer. This effects FC, pH, and CYA. That's why we are very cautious about using anything other than pure liquid chlorine/bleach or a SWG.

Pouring tri-chlor on the floor of your pool was probably an attempt to remove organic stains. But all of this is speculation on our part without seeing your own test results. At TFP, we emphasize a proper chlorination level based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). When used in this fashion, it's safe for the pool and swimmers.

Does that help answer some of your concerns?

Texas Spalsh - thanks for the response. You are correct, the PB was attempting to remove some dark marks (not organic stains) from the pool floor. This happened only less than 90 days from the initial plaster and opening of a new pool. I don't have specific numbers of when the PB started this process, but I was with him before he started and tested the water, which I struggled with keeping balanced but PB confirmed I had all levels within acceptable limits.

Ultimately, I'm battling with the PB on how my plaster looks at the start of season 3. Here is a link to another post I started with pictures:

Should my plaster look this bad after one season?

Apologize for continuing a thread through another post, but felt that one came to an end. We are dealing with Crazing, a graying of plaster (instead of the #501 Antilles Aquamarine blue), white swirls, and fading. This discoloring started 30 days from initial opening.

PB is telling me everything I see is due to "normal plaster curing". He said the color fading and the crazing is caused by the sun going through the water and affecting the plaster (the fading and crazing is only seen on our Baja shelf and the shallow area walls that get the most sun.

I'm trying to argue my point that the crazing was caused by either the drying of the plaster in the sun before the water level covered that area as well as the inability to correctly balance the water due to the excess amount of tri-chlor granules added to address the dark spots. One thing I haven't said was the PB had 4 people from their company look at it, at least one person from the plaster company look at it, and also brought Jacks Magic reps up from Florida to look at it and none of them could tell me what was causing this issue, which was clearly visible at the end of the first year (shown in pictures). And after going back and forth with them since the pool was opened, say that everything is caused by the natural plaster process.

I'm not an expert, but from what I have read from different sources, I disagree with what they say.

I totally understand TFP likes to deal with properly balances pools, but when you putting the maintenance of an issue into the PB hands and they give instructions on what to do, properly balanced water goes out the door.

Thanks,

Rich

Pooldv, yes I have seen that link. Can you tell me where this information came from? General information put together based on experience? Documented by he National Plaster Counsel. Do you know? The PB has brought up several times their plaster people follow the guidelines of the National Plaster Counsel.

Thanks,

Rich

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.