Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
~16,000 gallons
IG vinyl
sand filter - hayward pro series
SWG

I'm lost & confused. The SWG pool we inherited when we moved is set at 10% chlorinator. I'm finding the need to "super chlorinate" after a day or so use to keep up with chlorine levels. Should I increase the overall chlorinator percentage? Or is 10% a good default? The filter has been running a lot in order to heat the pool (Vancouver weather has been amazing and have recently been using the pool for 3-5 days consecutively). And is the super chlorinate option ideal to bring up chlorine? Or should we use chemicals? Our CYA was low but now in range.

Also just a curiosity- there's a lot of white streaks/ stains on the pool liner from previous owners. What can I do to avoid creating more?

Thank you

How long are you running the pump?
What is your CYA level?

Sounds like you should certainly raise the % output, and you should use bleach to quickly raise the FC instead of using the super chlorinate function.

The streaks could be a number of things.

Please post up a full set of test results from one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Also, Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The pump is running 24/7 right now. CYA is about 70. Is there a threshold % output that you wouldn't want to cross? And is there a drawback to using super chlorinate?

understood - I'll update my specs and post results soon. Thanks for your help!

Well, if I knew the pool size and the SWG model, then we could calculate how many ppm of FC you are adding daily and see if it is reasonable.

Why are you running 24/7? That is just a waste of money if you are not in a SLAM process of something.

We've been running it to keep the temp up - at night average temp right now is 51 degrees F and during the day it has ranged 67-86 air temp.

So basically it's a just under 16,000 gallon pool, Turbo Cell T-Cell 15. I tested chlorine (with a test strip... I'm ordering a kit) this morning and it went from on the lighter side to practically non existent about 12 hours later. Your help is appreciated!

EDIT: my next post will have signature as follows:

16,000 IG Vinyl, Hayward Pro Series Pump, Sand Filter, Turbo Cell T-Cell 15, Hayward Super Pump (and 2 more pumps for for Slide, Waterfall, Powerfall)

Do you have a heater? Because without one I do not understand the point of running the pump 24/7.

The T-15 at best generates 1.45 pounds of chlorine gas running 24 hours at 100%.
In a 16k pool that is 11ppm of FC.
Running at 10% is only adding 1.1ppm of FC into the pool daily.
A typical pool needs 2-3ppm of FC added daily.

Thanks. Yes we have a gas heater which is why it's running so much right now. So from what you've explained, I should increase output to about 20-30%. I'll start on the lower end and see how goes. During times of inactivity we'll be running the pump about 8 hours per day- should the chlorinator percentage be adjusted up or down?

Lastly, when is it safe to re-enter a pool after super chlorinating?

Again, thank you Jason and all.

If you only run 8 hours, then your SWG output might need to be up around 60-80% to add enough FC. The level of FC you have to maintain is a function of your CYA level.

It is also the CYA level that determines what the safe FC level is. Anything under shock FC level is safe.

If you only run 8 hours, then your SWG output might need to be up around 60-80% to add enough FC. The level of FC you have to maintain is a function of your CYA level.

It is also the CYA level that determines what the safe FC level is. Anything under shock FC level is safe.

For my 9000 gallon pool I run my pump and SWG for about 6 hours a day and have my output currently set at 70%. My FC last night was 7 so I will probably need to bump the percentage down a tad as my CYA is right around 80.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.