Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice after 15-20 inches of rain last night

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Need advice after 15-20 inches of rain last night

We had a lot of rain last night and bad winds (understatement). Our pool overflowed for about 4 hours with an overflow drain to the street. We lost power from about 4:30am to about 3:30pm, so no pumps running. The water looks very murky, almost with a greenish tint - can't see the bottom even in the 4' end.

Here's what I tested:

water temp 68 degrees

FC 3 (it was 7 on Saturday)

CC .5 (what it always is)

pH 7.3 (Saturday it was 8.2 - I added MA to bring it down to 7.6)

Forecasters are predicting more rain through Thursday, but they don't expect rains like we in Houston had last night.
    Pumps are running now with skimmers cleaned. So, my questions are:

1. with a SWG system, should I add bleach or let the salt cell do it's thing?

2. with more rain coming, and since I often need to add MA to my pool (she loves acid - Lol!!), should I leave the 7.3 alone? Or add some borax?

3. since I have some chlorine and the CC is at it's usual, the murky, greenish water color doesn't indicate a SLAM, does it? (sorry if this is a silly question)

4. I didn't test the other chem levels since more rain is expected. Is that correct? I'm thinking, I don't want to waste other chems if they are going to run out to the street. More than happy to go ahead and add if you guys tell me to go ahead.

Thank goodness you guys are here! Much appreciated!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice after 15-20 inches of rain last night

I'd just try to keep it at the proper fill level and make sure the chlorine is where it should be to prevent an algae outbreak.
    Adding bleach if necessary.

wither the storm and when the rainy days are over, balance everything up to proper levels again.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello my lovely one! What a mess that was for your area! SCARY!

I would boost the FC up to just under SLAM level with chlorine to help the SWG. Then boost your SWG a little to keep the FC up on the upper limit for your last CYA/FC reading.You want to get anything out that might have flowed in with the rain water.

I would have my water level pulled down to lowest the filter can still work.

PH-I would leave it where it is for now. See what the new rain does and go from there. It is still in the safe range.

Hugs cute huh?? Lee got it for me!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Thanks Borjis and Kim! Ok, so bring up the FC pretty high, right? On the CYA/FC chart, it says 28, so maybe 24 or so? I'm not sure how to drain the pool, but I'll check on bringing the level down. Right now, it's just at the bottom of the overflow drain.

And Kim, I LOVE the new hugging emojis!!!!

Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

24 or so would be good. You just want to give your SWG a boost. After the next rain we will work on the total balance and see if you need to SLAM.

I have no idea how you would drain your pool LOL Mine is easy! Just open up a valve and it comes rushing out! Maybe email your PB and see what he says.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Thanks, Kim! Will do!
    Suz

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Yowzer!!!! That was a lot of bleach!!!! I guess it's kind of like the big, bad antibiotic shot for a stubborn infection.

So I poured and poured and poured the bleach in. I'll retest in an hour.

Thanks again for the help!
    Suz

8. Back To Top    #8

How much bleach did you have to add? What is your CYA level?
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Suz!!! Glad you're ok, it was some kind of bad last night. I've never seen anything like it. I don't THINK mine overflowed but it's got a ton of junk in it. Hoping yours gets back to beautiful in no time!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post
    How much bleach did you have to add? What is your CYA level?

A week ago, my CYA was 70. I haven't tested it since all the rain. I believe the pool is around 23K gallons. I added 715 oz per Pool Math to bring it up to 24 FC.

How are you and your pool doing?
    Take care,
    Suz

- - - Updated - - -

I tested the pool water a few minutes ago. The FC is 22 and the pH is way over 8.2. I know you (Kim) said not to worry about the pH, but I just want to make sure with it that high, I'm not going to have more problems.

Light rain over night, but not much.

Thanks!
    Suz

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by SuzfromTexas View Post
    A week ago, my CYA was 70. I haven't tested it since all the rain. I believe the pool is around 23K gallons. I added 715 oz per Pool Math to bring it up to 24 FC.

How are you and your pool doing?Take care,
    Suz

- - - Updated - - -

I tested the pool water a few minutes ago. The FC is 22 and the pH is way over 8.2. I know you (Kim) said not to worry about the pH, but I just want to make sure with it that high, I'm not going to have more problems.

Light rain over night, but not much.

Thanks!
    Suz
    Thanks for asking, we're fine, some serious road flooding around us, but no houses flooded.
    The pool on the other hand...

Nothing really has been done except a bit of tile repair since we spoke last. Hopefully it will stop raining for a while so we can get it drained, plastered and re-filled. Kind of waiting on the plastering before doing the landscape also.
    Good luck on getting your pool back to sparkly clean Keep us posted on how it goes!
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

Suz Let your FC go down to 10 and then retest the PH. PH does not test correct with the FC over 10 so...........

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Thanks, Kim! I will do that with the FC. I thought somewhere I read the pH test is off with high FC. The water is definitely better today. We can see the bottom and the drains in the deep end, but it's definitely not crystal clear.

Would it be ok to put Rosie in (the robot cleaner)? She's great at getting up that superfine dirt or silt-like stuff.

Suz

14. Back To Top    #14

She would be a fine one to go in now. Just know she might stir things up a little bit.

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Last year's spring rains did wonders for my AGP up in College Station. Our water has very high TA. We had 48" last spring - just enough to almost fill a 54" pool. Our rainwater has a pH just below neutral according to some folks I talked to. We hardly got any of that rain that hit Houston less than 50 miles away (~3"). I'm not complaining too much. That was waaay too much at once. Glad you guys are OK.
    Intex 16'x32'x54" 17Kgal AGP since 2014. Sand filter, Hayward skimmer, home built 10'x15' deck and stairs, solar heater. High TA tap water, moderate rainfall, weekly use. Treated with 10% bleach, MA and some dichlor initially. Soon to add borates.
    Taylor K2006C
    Future projects - automatic chlorine pump, online pool sensors, better heater, IGP (maybe)

16. Back To Top    #16

Here we go again, huh?

I am available and current for contract flying in LR-JET and all King Airs.
    Intex 16'x32'x54" 17Kgal AGP since 2014. Sand filter, Hayward skimmer, home built 10'x15' deck and stairs, solar heater. High TA tap water, moderate rainfall, weekly use. Treated with 10% bleach, MA and some dichlor initially. Soon to add borates.
    Taylor K2006C
    Future projects - automatic chlorine pump, online pool sensors, better heater, IGP (maybe)

17. Back To Top    #17

Hey welbo! How much to fly me from Here to there???

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

Whoops! I didn't know that signature was global through tapatalk. It was meant for a different forum.

As far as flying goes, in the words of the Great Hank Williams, "If you've got the money honey, I've got the time."
    Taylor K2006C

19. Back To Top    #19

LOL not money but lots to time both due to being a teacher and about to have the summer off!

Kim