Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner -swg question

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner -swg question

I'm new to the pool world and have done some research and think I have a pretty good handle on the chemistry side of things. One question I do have, if my SWG is set to run x- amount of hours a day per the pool size. Do I need to be concerned about turning it down on weeks or longer period of times when my pool will be unused ? I plan to have my pool covered and there will be a time when it goes unused for several days. My thinking says that if it is covered and unused that I will get a spike in chlorine if the swg continues to run on the normal schedule.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner -swg question

Welcome!

If it's covered, you won't lose much FC to sunlight, so yes, turn down the SWG% or the filter run time. Be aware that any CC that develops also won't get broken down by sunlight when it's covered, so don't be alarmed if you pull off the cover and test things and CC has jumped. It'll probably all be gone by the next day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is a little off topic but I have read some places, for a new pool start up you need to do a shock treatment and other places including my SWG manual to just boost the SWG for a unspecified amount of time. I have a 6000 gal pool a 1500 GPH pump and a SWG capable of 15000 gal pool and can produce 12g an HR of chlorine. Do I need to shock first because will it take to long to get the chlorine levels up ? or will my SWG take care of it ?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jaspers_87 View Post
    This is a little off topic but I have read some places, for a new pool start up you need to do a shock treatment and other places including my SWG manual to just boost the SWG for a unspecified amount of time. I have a 6000 gal pool a 1500 GPH pump and a SWG capable of 15000 gal pool and can produce 12g an HR of chlorine. Do I need to shock first because will it take to long to get the chlorine levels up ? or will my SWG take care of it ?
    If you're filling it from a public water supply, there's no reason to shock it. People drink that water. They bathe in it.

We suggest people start their pools as a bleach pool and get things balanced before adding the salt. The salt dissolves for a day and you just turn on the SWG and let it carry on from there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

what order should I go about balancing things out - alkalinity-PH-Chlorine-CYA-CH-salt ?

How far off the recommended levels is my tap water going to be?

If you recommend starting with bleach what or where is the figure that tell me how much I need to add.

Sorry for all the questions, seems like its easier to get it right the first time when starting up rather than fixing a mistake.

6. Back To Top    #6

That order is good except skip TA for now.

Need to test to find out, all water is different.

How to determine how much bleach to add is covered right here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Please add your pool info to your signature so tha we can better help you, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

- - - Updated - - -

I just read back through and see you have an SWG, here is an additional page covering that, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jaspers_87 View Post
    what order should I go about balancing things out - alkalinity-PH-Chlorine-CYA-CH-salt ?

How far off the recommended levels is my tap water going to be?

If you recommend starting with bleach what or where is the figure that tell me how much I need to add.

Sorry for all the questions, seems like its easier to get it right the first time when starting up rather than fixing a mistake.
    If you post your test results, we can walk you through it.

What to add and how to add it is covered in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How much to add is explained in Pool School - PoolMath

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Good one Richard!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks guys!!!!..... I have added Sig info and started reading pool school and answered some of my own questions. I will post up my test results as soon as I get my pool set up and filled
    6000 gal
    AG
    Cartridge Filter
    15000 gal SWG 1500GPH pump
    Install Date TBD

10. Back To Top    #10

You're in good hands Jaspers_87

6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir