Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intel skimmer upgrade/plumbing questions

1. Back To Top    #1
    Birmingham, Alabama

Intel skimmer upgrade/plumbing questions

I will be installing a through wall skimmer on my Intex pool; any suggestions as to the best location for the skimmer? I'm also considering turning the original intake into a 2nd return; has anyone had success (or problems) with that conversion?
    Intex Ultra Frame 20'x52" pool (10,600 gallons); Sand filter (Model SF80110); Krystal Clear SWG (Model CS8110); AquaBot PoolRover Jr. Pool Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit with SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lodi Ca

Re: Intel skimmer upgrade/plumbing questions

Others who have done this mod will hopefully chime in soon, my post should bring your question back to the top. I would think you put the new skimmer where your current pump inlet hoses are so that you have circulation but I would wait for the experts who have done this.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Edmond OK

Sorry no one has gotten back to you yet. I installed mine right where the old port was.

It's best to put it where your prevailing winds will help to push debris into it.

In hindsight, I wish I had put it off to one side a little bit, so I could do as you mentioned and still use the old port as a 2nd intake below the water line. I would have rigged a valve so that I could use either one or both independently.

Maybe next time. I might still be able to rig something here to do that, but just haven't felt that industrious yet.
    6000 gal Intex 16'x48" Ultra frame AG
    Splapool 4500 GPH 1 hp pump w/19" sand filter
    Intex Krystalclear SWG EC8110
    Hayward Dyna-skim
    Intex Auto Robot "Wally"

4. Back To Top    #4
    Miami, FL

two words.... down wind
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart