SWG slamming

rarenomad

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2013
Hey guys, so this is my 2nd season with having a pool to SLAM and had a few questions.

I reread the SLAM process and just realized something, for SWG, the recommended CYA is between 70-80. However in the SLAM process it says the most effective CYA level for an outdoor pool is around 30-40. So should i be raising my CYA to 30-40 and go through with the SLAM or raise my CYA to 70-80 then SLAM at that point. Obviously it would require ALOT more liquid bleach to get it up to 28 and maintain it. Anyhow, sorry for the dumb question. Cheers!

Keep your CYA at the lower level until you complete the SLAM. Then you can raise it to 70-80.

The only reason for the higher CYA levels for an SWG is that they produce chlorine at a slower, steadier rate. So you don't have to worry as much about all of your chlorine getting bound up by the CYA. But it will be much more effective and cheaper to SLAM at the lower level, since you'll likely be purchasing bleach to do that with.

Sorry guys, i should have mentioned it, yes I will be SLAMming with liquid bleach (thanks kroger and aldis for cheap bleach!). But you guys answered my question perfectly nontheless. (and you saved me yet a huge bundle o cash) This is another reason I do not regret becoming a lifetime supporter of this VERY WONDERFUL site! Thanks guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, one other thing, just for clarity, i should treat the pool as a non-SWG until its clean and OCLT is < .5. Once i get to that stage I put in the salt and raise the CYA to 70-80 correct?

Sorry guys, i should have mentioned it, yes I will be SLAMming with liquid bleach (thanks kroger and aldis for cheap bleach!). But you guys answered my question perfectly nontheless. (and you saved me yet a huge bundle o cash) This is another reason I do not regret becoming a lifetime supporter of this VERY WONDERFUL site! Thanks guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, one other thing, just for clarity, i should treat the pool as a non-SWG until its clean and OCLT is < .5. Once i get to that stage I put in the salt and raise the CYA to 70-80 correct?
Exactly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.