Added DE to sand filter

May 1, 2015
Kaplan louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I added D.E. To my Pentair sand dollar sand filter 1/4 cup at a time mixed with water. I poured roughly 1 cup total thru the skimmer when my pressure on my filter increased by 1 psi. After about 2 hours my pressure had risen by about 5 psi and my pump output had drastically dropped so I decided to backwash the filter. Now that I've back washed should I add more DE or let it go as is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try just a 1/2 cup total this next time. Sand filters seem to act differently, some can take a full cup of DE and others only a few tablespoons.

Has this filter been deep cleaned recently?

To give you some background I've been slamming the pool for over a week and it was mentioned in a thread I had posted yesterday that I should probably try a little DE because my pool water is still cloudy.
Fc 16
Cc 0.5
Cya 40
Ta 70
Ph 7.4
Ch 100

It actually sounds like normal behavior with a cloudy pool. Backwash and add more DE. The intervals between backwashes should grow further apart as the water clears. Do whatever you can to increase circulation down deep - point a return down or brush a lot -- so whatever is in the water gets sent to the filter.

Ok I Had my return pointed up so that it would break the surface because I was told that it was good to aerate the pool. I just turned the return downward so maybe that'll help me out. I also just added more DE to the filter about 1/2 cup and my pressure did increase 1 psi so I'll just keep repeating these steps as needed and watching my discharge pressure closely.

After the SLAM is complete do not change your sand. Sand lasts forever and the people that tell you it needs to be changed on some kind of interval are just trying to sell you sand. The only time TFP ever recommends a sand change is after a conversion from Baquacil to chlorine.

Deep clean your sand filter after the SLAM is complete. Deep cleaning should be done annually. If it has not been done than I bet your filter sand has channeling in it which basically allows dirty water to completely bypass the sand.

If you're cloudiness persists, you might need to deep clean the filter. Filter maintenance is one of the most neglected aspects of pool care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.