Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added DE to sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Added DE to sand filter

I added D.E. To my Pentair sand dollar sand filter 1/4 cup at a time mixed with water. I poured roughly 1 cup total thru the skimmer when my pressure on my filter increased by 1 psi. After about 2 hours my pressure had risen by about 5 psi and my pump output had drastically dropped so I decided to backwash the filter. Now that I've back washed should I add more DE or let it go as is?

13500 gallon above ground with pentair sand dollar sand filter, 1.5hp pentair pump with TF-100 test kit. Kaplan, Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Added DE to sand filter

What is the reason for adding the DE? You may need to do some more filtering before you're ready for the DE treatment...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Try just a 1/2 cup total this next time. Sand filters seem to act differently, some can take a full cup of DE and others only a few tablespoons.

Has this filter been deep cleaned recently?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

No I've never had it deep cleaned and was thinking about changing my sand next week

13500 gallon above ground with pentair sand dollar sand filter, 1.5hp pentair pump with TF-100 test kit. Kaplan, Louisiana

5. Back To Top    #5

To give you some background I've been slamming the pool for over a week and it was mentioned in a thread I had posted yesterday that I should probably try a little DE because my pool water is still cloudy.
    Fc 16
    Cc 0.5
    Cya 40
    Ta 70
    Ph 7.4
    Ch 100

6. Back To Top    #6

It actually sounds like normal behavior with a cloudy pool. Backwash and add more DE. The intervals between backwashes should grow further apart as the water clears. Do whatever you can to increase circulation down deep - point a return down or brush a lot -- so whatever is in the water gets sent to the filter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Added DE to sand filter

Ok I Had my return pointed up so that it would break the surface because I was told that it was good to aerate the pool. I just turned the return downward so maybe that'll help me out. I also just added more DE to the filter about 1/2 cup and my pressure did increase 1 psi so I'll just keep repeating these steps as needed and watching my discharge pressure closely.

8. Back To Top    #8

Added DE to sand filter

After the SLAM is complete do not change your sand. Sand lasts forever and the people that tell you it needs to be changed on some kind of interval are just trying to sell you sand. The only time TFP ever recommends a sand change is after a conversion from Baquacil to chlorine.

Deep clean your sand filter after the SLAM is complete. Deep cleaning should be done annually. If it has not been done than I bet your filter sand has channeling in it which basically allows dirty water to completely bypass the sand.

If you're cloudiness persists, you might need to deep clean the filter. Filter maintenance is one of the most neglected aspects of pool care.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Is there a link you could point me to on how to deep clean the sand filter?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Nickllm View Post
    Is there a link you could point me to on how to deep clean the sand filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Matt

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you. I really appreciate the help!