20+ inches of Rain OUCH

Jan 31, 2016
Houston/TX
Well my first problem as a new pool owner. Being an avid aquarium owner water chemistry not a problem until you flood your entire back yard with 20+ inches of rain and 6 drains can barely keep up with getting rid of run off.

Now when I first filled my pool from my water hoses the pool was a pale green color due to the nasty water from the city of Houston and the aqua color of my plaster. however we had up until now a nice clear aqua blue lagoon look. Today it is more of a sea green toilet. :( I brushed and there is a lot of sediment which I believe is adding to the color an NOT algae but who knows.

I did go ahead and add some liquid chlorine to shock since all that sediment was in pool.

Pool Chemistry

FC 3.5 Before Shock FC 14 After
CYA 30 - 35
PH 7.4
ALK 100
CALC 270
BORATE 50

Anything else other than running filter 24 hours I should be concerned with our just good old patience. Did I mention I might be a bit OCD ;-)

Thanks all. Houston got hammered today. hope everyone is safe.

I was just helping another member from your area as well. You're on the right track with a SLAM/Shock FC level and running your pump longer. I would also keep an eye on the filter psi just to ensure it doesn't go too far past a 25% increase in pressure. But you're correct ... it's just going to take some time. Manually clean what you can, then let the bleach and filter do the rest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.