Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 20+ inches of Rain OUCH

1. Back To Top    #1

Post 20+ inches of Rain OUCH

Well my first problem as a new pool owner. Being an avid aquarium owner water chemistry not a problem until you flood your entire back yard with 20+ inches of rain and 6 drains can barely keep up with getting rid of run off.

Now when I first filled my pool from my water hoses the pool was a pale green color due to the nasty water from the city of Houston and the aqua color of my plaster. however we had up until now a nice clear aqua blue lagoon look. Today it is more of a sea green toilet. I brushed and there is a lot of sediment which I believe is adding to the color an NOT algae but who knows.

I did go ahead and add some liquid chlorine to shock since all that sediment was in pool.

Pool Chemistry

FC 3.5 Before Shock FC 14 After
    CYA 30 - 35
    PH 7.4
    ALK 100
    CALC 270
    BORATE 50

Anything else other than running filter 24 hours I should be concerned with our just good old patience. Did I mention I might be a bit OCD

Thanks all. Houston got hammered today. hope everyone is safe.
    33' x 21' + SPA, Approx. 20k Gallon, Gunite, Freeform, Natural Rock Features, PebbleTec Tahoe Blue Plaster;
    Hayward SwimClear 425, 400k heater, EcoStar Variable Pump, 1.5h Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Cleaner, Autofill;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 20+ inches of Rain OUCH

I was just helping another member from your area as well. You're on the right track with a SLAM/Shock FC level and running your pump longer. I would also keep an eye on the filter psi just to ensure it doesn't go too far past a 25% increase in pressure. But you're correct ... it's just going to take some time. Manually clean what you can, then let the bleach and filter do the rest.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

We do not "shock", we follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

Just try to remove all the debris and keep the FC level elevated.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry to hear about the flooding, it sounds really bad. Stay safe, the pool can be corrected.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Sometimes its good just hearing you are on the right path.

Just looks like I might need to add some more drains to prevent in future if that is even possible.
    33' x 21' + SPA, Approx. 20k Gallon, Gunite, Freeform, Natural Rock Features, PebbleTec Tahoe Blue Plaster;
    Hayward SwimClear 425, 400k heater, EcoStar Variable Pump, 1.5h Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Cleaner, Autofill;

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool looking better already still a ways from crystal clear. Brushing silt to drains a few times and continue to monitor FC. Looks like this upcoming weekend will be a busy pool and filter cleaning day.