Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone else have leaking actuated valves?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone else have leaking actuated valves?

I have a Pentair solar 3-way valve that is controlled by an Intermatic actuator.
    What was a drip ever few seconds has not turned into a near constant stream out through the shaft area.

While doing pad maintenance, I took the valve apart (which looked fine), used a generous amount of silicone grease on the 2 shaft o-rings and put it all back together. Seemed to basically stop it at first ... until the actuator started moving again.

If I do not install the actuator, I have no leaks at all.

It almost seems like the actuator is not properly aligned and is putting sideways force on the shaft making it leak?

The first Intermatic I got ended up having a crack internally, so the shaft would wobble and not hit the dip switches to stop the rotation. This is the replacement they sent me and wondering if there is just a design flaw with these.

Anyone else have a leaking valve problem with Intermatic actuators?
    Are the more expensive actuators any better?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone else have leaking actuated valves?

I have had small leaks out of my Pentair solar valve before and usually replacing the o-rings helps. But I have found that it sometimes takes a couple of tries before I can stop the leaks. I have Goldline actuators but as far as I can tell, they aren't the cause of the leaks. But I can see how a misalignment could possibly cause a leak.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

They were leaking last year and I swapped the o-rings from an extra new valve ... did not seem to help.

AT one point I got the leak to slow down by loosening some of the screws, suppose I might just have to mess with it to see if I can get it to slow down.

Maybe I will see if I can get them to send me more o-rings, although nothing looks wrong with these.

Do you recall that there are supposed to be 2 o-rings with a plastic c-ring between them?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I have a Pentair solar 3-way valve that is controlled by an Intermatic actuator.
    What was a drip ever few seconds has not turned into a near constant stream out through the shaft area.
    Same here, my solar valve developed a leak last year, still about the same now, slow drip.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Do you recall that there are supposed to be 2 o-rings with a plastic c-ring between them?
    Yes, 2 o-rings with a spacer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater