Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Test

Question about doing the test for free chlorine with my TFT100 kit. Right now my builder is taking care of my pool for the first month but I am still testing daily. Chlorine has been a high (5-12). I know how to do the chlorine test using a 10 mL sample with each drop representing .5 ppm of chlorine. So the question.

If I were to use a 5ml sample could I achieve test results with 1 ppm accuracy to save on reagents? Don't really feel like I need to be accurate to .5 right now.
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Chlorine Test

Yes, we sometimes suggest that if the persons CYA is really high and they are SLaMMing
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Perfect. Thanks
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Checking the price of the R-0871 (FAS/DPD test drops), it's about 3/4 of a penny per drop.

So, if your FC is around 10 ppm, you will save 10 drops or 7.5 cents for each test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School