Sand in the backwash water & bottom of the pool

new pool owner here,

I have a sta-rite sand filter, older unit & a green pool curently trying to clear the algae, my question is,

should the sand be flowing out when I backwash?

I also know there is sand in the pool, when I brush in the shallow end I can see sand floating up with the algae & in the deep end I can feel the pile of sand with the brush but I can not see the bottom yet.

Where should I start looking?

Thanks

The filter. This is what I found on a similar post:

JasonLion said:
There are a number of things that might be wrong with the filter. Sand getting through almost always means a cracked or broken lateral pipe. Though there are other things that can break and have the same effect, it is usually the laterals that break first. If you are feeling handy you might want to open it up take the sand out and closely examine all of the laterals and look around for any other problems.

Thanks for the replies, I know that the spider gasket is questionable, I had water going out the waste when filtering so I opened it up and reseated it, but next time I backwashed it did it again

I just put 4 bags of vitroclean filter glass in the filter & I looked at the laterals, but this being my first opool I may have missed something in the filter

I will replace the spider gasket first as I do not want to take out all the sand

It is not uncommon for sand to leave the filter when backwashing since there is nothing but the weight of the sand itself holding it back. This is particularly common after sand changes since the sand might be slightly higher than necessary. If the sand is sneaking past the spider gasket and into the pool during backwash then the new gasket will solve your problem.

If you have sand entering your sightglass when the filter is on RINSE (which is the equivalent of filter to waste) then you should suspect the lateral assembly.

Thanks,

I can see the bottom of the pool in the shallow end finally, the pump keeps getting plugged with pine needles, cleared the needles again after work today, pressure in the filter drops & I can hear the difference in sound.

As soon as I cleared the pump the pressure in the filter jumped from 10 to 20-15 is the pressure after a backwash.

I will probably have to backwash in a couple of hours, I will check to see if there is sand coming out when I rinse then.

My test kit should be here tomorrow or Thursday-then the real questions start

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.