Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAMMING my swamp

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAMMING my swamp

HELP!! My pool is a mess from overuse of chlorine tabs and not using liquid chlorine. I have lowered the CYA (from 100!!) level by filling/lowering the water level several times and I have had my SWG repaired. My question is, can I SLAM the pool and use the swg to keep my FC up (by the CYA tables, I need to keep it 20ppm for now) or should I turn off the swg and keep adding chlorine until the pool is clear? Also, while SLAMMING, should I leave the filter in the "filter" or "re-circulate" mode? Thanks. Your advice has never let me down and I appreciate you all!
    43,500 gal/Heyward 240 sand filter w/ 1hp pump/In-Ground pool/vinyl liner/Jandy SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAMMING my swamp

Best to just leave the SWG off. It wasn't designed to keep that kind of pace. Leave your filter in filter mode as well. Backwash when it rises by 25%. Please review everything on the SLAM link below in my sig and you'll be fine. Just make sure you have a good (correct) CYA reading so you know what FC shock level to stay at 24/7 (CYA Chart link also below). Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

THANKS!! This forum and all the Senior Members/Moderators are fabulous
    BigDog
    43,500 gal/Heyward 240 sand filter w/ 1hp pump/In-Ground pool/vinyl liner/Jandy SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Regarding the filter, if your pressure is rising the 20-25% over clean pressure requiring a backwash too fast and you are not around to do so, you can certainly run in Recirculate mode. You will have to filter it all out eventually though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!