Open up and lubricate a Hayward multiport valve?

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
Should I be maintaining this valve in any way? It's 2.5 years old and really feels like it's binding when I go from setting to setting. Think some O ring lube or something inside would go a long way. But I don't want to open it up and find you can't, or shouldn't. Or worse, have parts go flying all over the place when I pull the cover. I figure I need to do this, if I am, before I open the pool and it fills with water. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• File Apr 18, 2 35 17 PM.jpg
    File Apr 18, 2 35 17 PM.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 116
Mine is outside and uncovered and was starting to be VERY hard to turn. I took mine apart and found a lot of grit had found it's way into the void between the shaft under the handle and the cover itself. When taking it apart you need to compress a spring and that spring tension is something you do need to be careful with. Instead of mine coming apart from the spring tension I had to muscle it back and forth to finally get the shaft out. I scrubbed, washed and rinsed all the parts and replaced the O rings using a silicone based lube and it felt wonderful. I think it's been two years now and it's still smooth.
You might want to get the "go kit" Mine took "go-kit-39". Just google it and you can see what's in there. Or you can get the individual o rings and stuff on line or at a pool store.
There is also the possibility it's only the plastic washer that's called a "bearing" that's getting torn up and causing your problem. It's located right under the handle and it's what the handle rotates on. I had both a plastic washer that was rough and torn and the crud jammed in the shaft.
Plenty of youtube vids to show you how.

YourPoolHQ.com - How To Fix Your Pool Filter Multiport Valve - YouTube

Another common problem with a multi-port is the spider gasket or wagonwheel. It is pretty obvious where it sits on top of the base. Check it out.

2 good rules to follow...

1. Never move the multiport position with the pump running

2. Always move the multiport in the same direction.....either counterclockwise or clockwise.

Thanks. I'm going to watch those videos. I NEVER move it when the pump is running, but do move it both directions. Only yesterday did I see the advice about going the same way. Kind of a pain when going from backwash to rinse, but better that than having to take it apart. I'm sure I'll be back with questions! :)

So I got inside today. Easy actually. The spider gasket (wagon wheel) was fine, but bone dry. I added some lube to it. And the plastic washer under the handle did have a lot of crud as well, but I had a hard time compressing the two pieces so I could pop the pin and remove the handle to really get under there and lube the o rings on the handle. I was afraid if I got it off, I wouldn't be able to get it back in. Any tips for that, or just brute strength?

And done! Thanks for the tips. I used two bar clamps to help me compress the spring once I had it apart (I didn't leave it as is, as it was still tough to turn). Worked like a charm. Only a few parts in there and pretty hard to screw up. I cleaned everything and lubed it well, including the O ring on the post. Put it all back together, put some lube on the white washer under the handle, and put a label on it "Clockwise only!" :) So smooth now, you could do it with one finger. Thanks for the tips! Another mystery shattered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.