Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Kit--expire?

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kit--expire?

Good afternoon everyone! I have a TF-100 that I bought last year (worked great, thanks for the recommendations). I am about a week or so from opening our pool...I wait until the oaks and cotton woods stop blooming!

Question is do these chemicals in the test kit loose their potency or am I good to continue to use this from last year?

Thanks in advance!
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit--expire?

Kind of depends on how you stored it.

If in your house in a closet or something, then they are likely fine.
    I think the Extended Test Instructions describe how to know if some of the reagents are bad.

You missed the annual refill sale that tftestkits always runs in March
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You should be good, TF Test kits goes through a lot of reagents and has a freshness guarantee, I think it is something like at least 18 months of shelf life remaining when the ship the test kits out, but this does depend on proper climate controlled storage and not being exposed to light.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for the delayed response, I had a bit of a password issue and just got back to resolving.

Yes, this was stored inside, and under a cabinet, so temp controlled and not much light. Thank you for the responses!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just used last years chemicals to do chlorine drop test. Chemicals stored in dark closet. Double checked with Taylors k-1000 basic test kit... Both showed same basic results.
    DPD powder is a little darker than when new,but is working just fine------
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.