Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool location - what to use under pool

1. Back To Top    #1
    Concord, CA

New pool location - what to use under pool

Last year we set up our pool, eyeballing a section of our yard and deciding it was level. It wasn't. (This was before I found TFP.) Even though it was a few inches off level we went with it, although I was super paranoid all summer long that the side would give. Knowing we would be moving it for this season we drained and packed it away before winter. This year I have a little tractor to help dig down about 4-6 inches to level out the ground in the new area, pulling out all the roots and rocks that are buried there. I was thinking about building a 20'x20' pad of pavers to put the pool on. My boyfriend thinks those would be too rough on the bottom of the pool. I remember seeing someone last year that had done that but I can't find the thread. Any suggestions about what to place the pool on? is directly on dirt the ideal choice? That just seems so muddy to me.
    18' x 48" Intex ultra frame, above ground. Filter with add on SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: New pool location - what to use under pool

Sand, about 2-3 inches. Check out these videos:

Installing a Intex Ultra-Frame Rectangle Pool PROFESSIONALLY - YouTube
    Installing an Intex Round Metal Frame Pool PROFESSIONALLY - YouTube

The rest of the video series are also quite helpful to get the most out of an Intex pool, albeit Chad can be a bit tedious in too large doses.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12' (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO Saltwater System, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Some folks have also used Gorilla Pads, and I also believe some type of insulation panels. They were good for both weed/rock control and comfort.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    El Cajon CA

I used DG as a base and it's been great so far, look at my install in my signature. Good luck and take the time to do it correctly the first time.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

5. Back To Top    #5
    Lodi Ca

click on the link in my signature, I used the foam sheets and really like them, wished I would have done this with my previous pools. using the foam and the pavers would be good in my opinion.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.