Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine levels will not go down, have not added ANY chlorine for 2 weeks.

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine levels will not go down, have not added ANY chlorine for 2 weeks.

I live in Central FL, temps have been mild, high 70's. Started taking care of my pool a month ago. Made mistake of starting with pool store..before finding this site.

They entered my pool size wrong at 6700 gallons when it is a 3800-4000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate pool. So I know I added too much stabalizer because its now reading between 60-100 *store results. (need to do a test with MY test kit that should be here soon). I will fix this over time adding water to pool.

The confusing part for me is that my Chlorine level was at 0, I shocked as they told me too with 2quarts liquid and added a floater 3inch tab. Well my Chlorine went has been reading 9.9 on my aquacheck trutest, and 10 on my 7point test strips, and I think a 7 at the store.

It has not gone down, I removed the puck two weeks ago, and have not added any chlorine. Chlorine level has not dropped one bit.

Its funny, when pool guy was taking care of pool once a week, no pucks in pool, he just threw in an eyeball'd amount of liquid from large jug. He said it was an easy pool to care for.

Any thoughts on why chlorine staying so high?
    3,500 gal, in-ground, exposed aggregate, Hayward Maxflo Sp2807x-10 1Hp pump and Hayward Star-Clear C12002 filter. Chlorine liquid.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine levels will not go down, have not added ANY chlorine for 2 weeks.

Can't give much advice without test data from your own kit but, is the pool in a screened in enclosure? Does it get much sun?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Can't give much advice without test data from your own kit but, is the pool in a screened in enclosure? Does it get much sun?
    It is screened in, gets a fair amount of sun.

FC 10 or 9.9 (with my test strips) the pool store said 7.
    TA 70
    PH 7.4
    CYA 60-100 (store test only gives 100 for anything between 60 and 100)

Its just really odd, you would expect some drop in 2 weeks wouldnt you?? It is a clean pool, doesnt get much in it but some pollen, and whatever blows in when doors are opened.
    3,500 gal, in-ground, exposed aggregate, Hayward Maxflo Sp2807x-10 1Hp pump and Hayward Star-Clear C12002 filter. Chlorine liquid.

4. Back To Top    #4

If 10 is as high as the guess strip reads then it could have been much higher and still show 10. An FAS-DPD chlorine test will remove all of the mystery.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, so we know its way high, but have you seen this before? One would think that after two weeks it would come down a bit, it does get Sun from Sunrise till about 5pm.

Even the pool store folks were miffed.

6. Back To Top    #6

The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) is the foundation of your pool care. Why these kits? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

We have learned that pool store testing is incredibly inconsistent at best. What was 100 today could be 200 tomorrow or visa-versa. Seasonal employees, testing under inconsistent lighting, etc all add to poor testing. IF these were your own test kit results, we could probably pinpoint things better, but going off of the pool store or test strips just has us chasing our tails guessing. Sorry.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

No, in a clean pool that has shade (low UV) and is cool, I would not expect the chlorine to decrease much at all. In the winter time when my pool is cold and in direct sun light (lots of UV) my FC loss is less than 0.1ppm per day.

You're just going to have to wait for it to come down.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) is the foundation of your pool care. .
    Ordered last week, should be here tomorrow.

9. Back To Top    #9

Outstanding! You'll be amazed at what you learn from your own water. I know I did.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

You are probably losing less than 2ppm of FC per day right now, possibly less than 1.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

We don't trust pool store CYA test results. There is a huge difference between 60 and 100. The highest result available is 100 which usually means the real number is much higher than 100.

Here is a comparison of test kits. We recommend the TF-100 because it is a great value:
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared

TF-100:
    TFTestkits.net
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile