Advice for new Stenner Pump for LC injection

TexKSAH

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2014
Austin, TX
Hey all,

I'm at that point where my CYA has hit 70ish and time to install a Stenner for chlorine injection. I'll keep the auto-chlorinator installed in-line for occasional pucks as needed, so I do not want to use the 1/2" tap there.

I purchased a 45MPHP10 (fixed, 10GPD) pump, 15gal grey tank and black 1/4" tubing. Should arrive tomorrow!

The injector has both 1/4" and 1/2" NPT. My thoughts are to tap into the elbow coupling just after the chlorinator with a 1/4" tap. That way if I mess up, I can still re-drill for the 1/2" tap. Anyone have ideas, suggestions, recommendations on tapping into the elbow? I'm thinking tapping on the coupler part of the elbow so my tap hole is going through both the elbow and the pipe. Is this a good idea or bad?

I'll be wiring the pump to Aux7 circuit on the Pentair Easytouch panel so I can schedule the Stenner to run daily but will also be able to setup a one-touch on-demand egg timer to run the Stenner for 30 minutes if I need an extra boost of chlorine occasionally. I believe I can program the Easytouch to ensure the filter pump is on and running at least on low anytime I hit the egg-timer button so the Stenner is never running when the filter pump is not running as well. Anyone with experience doing this I would much appreciate any advice, tips, hints....

Thanks for all the great information and advice from everyone on this site!

I would not drill into the elbow and compromise the glue joint but that's just me. Going into the straight pipe is more than adequate IMHO.

Use the power from the filter pump relay on the ET to power the AUX7 relay so that the AUX7 can never deliver power unless the pump is running. Then just schedule the AUX7 to run when the pump is on. You can even assign a speed to the AUX7 relay so that the pump can run at a higher or lower speed when adding chlorine.

Thanks Matt.

I was thinking the same thing about the glue joint, but wasn't sure if it was a concern or not.

My cleaner pump is on Aux 5 and when scheduled or manually turned on with the remote egg-timer button, it automatically turns the filer pump on HIGH 5 minutes before the cleaner pump starts if it is not already on HIGH. I was hoping I could do the same with Aux 7 to turn on or ensure the filter pump was on at least LOW before starting the Stenner. Is this (powering Aux 5 from the filter pump HIGH relay) how the installer probably did that? I probably need to get the ET manual and start reading! lol

I drilled into the elbow with no issues. I think it provides a more rigid connection in case you bump into it because of the deeper threads. I also practiced on a spare pvc pipe and it was real easy to do. I also have mine hooked to my ET8 and can control with the remote. Good Luck you will really like the Stenner setup.

Completed my Stenner installation and setup. Thanks to a picture I saw on Superair01's post, I realized my auto-chlorinator had a second 1/2 tap so I didn't have to drill and tap the pipe.

20160421_200937.jpg

20160421_201122.jpg

Programmed to run 15 minutes twice a day. Will probably have to adjust that once I see what that does to FC levels.

Mixing different types of chlorine (liquid & tabs) in the same container can be hazardous. I really think you should re-think your injection point as you plan on keeping the tab chlorinator in a ready for use state.

Noted and thanks Tim. I don't plan on using both at the same time but wanted to keep the chlorinator functional in case I need to use tabs to bump my CYA as it gets low. I'll be sure to turn the pump off when I need to use the chlorinator or move the injection point.

Noted and thanks Tim. I don't plan on using both at the same time but wanted to keep the chlorinator functional in case I need to use tabs to bump my CYA as it gets low. I'll be sure to turn the pump off when I need to use the chlorinator or move the injection point.
Please understand, that it is non-failsafe solutions that cause problems. This really does create an unsafe condition for a future owner or family member who does not understand the danger. While I'm sure you understand what we are talking about, my fear is that others who may access the pool/equipment in the future do not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I purchased a 2 inch T fitting from Lowes with a threaded 1/2 for the Stenner injection needle. I also purchased a 1/2 inch plug so when I needed to work on the Stenner I could remove it and insert the plug. Took about 10 minutes to cut into the PVC piping.

Stenner.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.