Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice for new Stenner Pump for LC injection

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice for new Stenner Pump for LC injection

Hey all,

I'm at that point where my CYA has hit 70ish and time to install a Stenner for chlorine injection. I'll keep the auto-chlorinator installed in-line for occasional pucks as needed, so I do not want to use the 1/2" tap there.

I purchased a 45MPHP10 (fixed, 10GPD) pump, 15gal grey tank and black 1/4" tubing. Should arrive tomorrow!

The injector has both 1/4" and 1/2" NPT. My thoughts are to tap into the elbow coupling just after the chlorinator with a 1/4" tap. That way if I mess up, I can still re-drill for the 1/2" tap. Anyone have ideas, suggestions, recommendations on tapping into the elbow? I'm thinking tapping on the coupler part of the elbow so my tap hole is going through both the elbow and the pipe. Is this a good idea or bad?

I'll be wiring the pump to Aux7 circuit on the Pentair Easytouch panel so I can schedule the Stenner to run daily but will also be able to setup a one-touch on-demand egg timer to run the Stenner for 30 minutes if I need an extra boost of chlorine occasionally. I believe I can program the Easytouch to ensure the filter pump is on and running at least on low anytime I hit the egg-timer button so the Stenner is never running when the filter pump is not running as well. Anyone with experience doing this I would much appreciate any advice, tips, hints....

Thanks for all the great information and advice from everyone on this site!
    12300gal IG PebbleTec w/7' raised Spa & Waterfall. Built Aug 2015
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, Ultra UV, Auto Fill
    EasyTouch control w/ Remote, Infloor Cleaner w/1.5HP Pump and Leaf Canister
    Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15gal tank, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice for new Stenner Pump for LC injection

I would not drill into the elbow and compromise the glue joint but that's just me. Going into the straight pipe is more than adequate IMHO.

Use the power from the filter pump relay on the ET to power the AUX7 relay so that the AUX7 can never deliver power unless the pump is running. Then just schedule the AUX7 to run when the pump is on. You can even assign a speed to the AUX7 relay so that the pump can run at a higher or lower speed when adding chlorine.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Matt.

I was thinking the same thing about the glue joint, but wasn't sure if it was a concern or not.

My cleaner pump is on Aux 5 and when scheduled or manually turned on with the remote egg-timer button, it automatically turns the filer pump on HIGH 5 minutes before the cleaner pump starts if it is not already on HIGH. I was hoping I could do the same with Aux 7 to turn on or ensure the filter pump was on at least LOW before starting the Stenner. Is this (powering Aux 5 from the filter pump HIGH relay) how the installer probably did that? I probably need to get the ET manual and start reading! lol

4. Back To Top    #4

I drilled into the elbow with no issues. I think it provides a more rigid connection in case you bump into it because of the deeper threads. I also practiced on a spare pvc pipe and it was real easy to do. I also have mine hooked to my ET8 and can control with the remote. Good Luck you will really like the Stenner setup.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info rphpool.

On your ET8, did you find a way to program the Stenner circuit so it turns on or verifies the filter pump is running? I hope I can do it that way.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes I just programed it to turn on 5 minutes after my pump turns on. You name the circuit then you program the times.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

7. Back To Top    #7

Completed my Stenner installation and setup. Thanks to a picture I saw on Superair01's post, I realized my auto-chlorinator had a second 1/2 tap so I didn't have to drill and tap the pipe.

20160421_200937.jpg

20160421_201122.jpg

Programmed to run 15 minutes twice a day. Will probably have to adjust that once I see what that does to FC levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

Mixing different types of chlorine (liquid & tabs) in the same container can be hazardous. I really think you should re-think your injection point as you plan on keeping the tab chlorinator in a ready for use state.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Noted and thanks Tim. I don't plan on using both at the same time but wanted to keep the chlorinator functional in case I need to use tabs to bump my CYA as it gets low. I'll be sure to turn the pump off when I need to use the chlorinator or move the injection point.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by TexKSAH View Post
    Noted and thanks Tim. I don't plan on using both at the same time but wanted to keep the chlorinator functional in case I need to use tabs to bump my CYA as it gets low. I'll be sure to turn the pump off when I need to use the chlorinator or move the injection point.
    Please understand, that it is non-failsafe solutions that cause problems. This really does create an unsafe condition for a future owner or family member who does not understand the danger. While I'm sure you understand what we are talking about, my fear is that others who may access the pool/equipment in the future do not.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

I purchased a 2 inch T fitting from Lowes with a threaded 1/2 for the Stenner injection needle. I also purchased a 1/2 inch plug so when I needed to work on the Stenner I could remove it and insert the plug. Took about 10 minutes to cut into the PVC piping.

Stenner.jpg
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.