Any regrets on above ground pool? Round vs oval

May 27, 2015
Ironton, OH
We had decided on IGP, but due to the fact we are not at home much and there is a TINY sliver of land where the IGP would go that we don't own we are leaning more toward above ground now. Wanted to see if anyone regrets going with above ground and wishes they had done inground? Also do you think round or oval is better and why?

Thanks!!!

Hello! We always had our hearts set on IGP....because the IGP I want is so expensive, we went with AGP. Chose oval over round for lap swimming and teaching swim lessons. We love ours! The only thing I would have added is deep end for instructing my students. I also get nervous about pushing off of walls - but manufacturer says it's fine. It took me a while to get used to looking at it.....I think AGP can be an eye sore - but the fun has trumped that!! Upkeep is a cinch using TFP method. Maybe when this pool goes we will do Inground but for now the AGP is great.

We went with 24' round because the oval would take up a bigger footprint. The braces in the middle take up an extra 3 or 4 feet on each side that we didnt really want to account for.

See here, the supports on the straight sides....
366552_orig.jpg

We wanted an oval at first. When we went to look at them at the local dealer, they talked us out of it. The girl drew a circle on a piece of paper, and then put a two lines though it to make it an oval. She said look at all of that swim space, that was just eliminated to make an oval. Not to mention the extra bracing as said above. We are happy with the round pool. Lost of space. Also a round pool makes the outward pressure on the walls equal. Unlike an oval, that has extra pressure on the flat sides.

Growing up we had a tiny AGP, when I bought my house they had a large AGP and im happy I have a pool. If money wasn't a issue I would have a IGP no doubt and the main reason for that is the different depths of water that IGPs have. AGPs are normally just one depth.

Wayne

Welcome to TFP sloshed :wave:

I haven't had an AGP so I can't compare. I would go for oval if you're thinking of swimming for exercise as you'd have a longer path, round if you just want to get wet and stay cool or for the kids to play in. It would also depend on what fits the little sliver of space you have to put it on.

We went with 24' round because the oval would take up a bigger footprint. The braces in the middle take up an extra 3 or 4 feet on each side that we didnt really want to account for.

See here, the supports on the straight sides....
366552_orig.jpg

Many ovals today are buttress free. Which is what we went with :) we almost went with round but really wanted that extra length.

26402408112_15ef57254e_z_d.jpg

We wanted an oval at first. When we went to look at them at the local dealer, they talked us out of it. The girl drew a circle on a piece of paper, and then put a two lines though it to make it an oval. She said look at all of that swim space, that was just eliminated to make an oval.
Pool company drew the same picture for me. With our 30 ft. round, we have more than enough space.

Please excuse the weeds - we are getting ready to landscape around our pool but wanted to show you a pic of our buttress free oval pool. Takes up less space - but like someone else mentioned it really is based on what your family wants to use the pool for. One other reason we chose oval was to be able to set up volleyball easily in the pool. We bought ours at the poolfactory online.

26254412570_25fa698e55_z_d.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.