Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any regrets on above ground pool? Round vs oval

1. Back To Top    #1

Any regrets on above ground pool? Round vs oval

We had decided on IGP, but due to the fact we are not at home much and there is a TINY sliver of land where the IGP would go that we don't own we are leaning more toward above ground now. Wanted to see if anyone regrets going with above ground and wishes they had done inground? Also do you think round or oval is better and why?

Thanks!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any regrets on above ground pool? Round vs oval

Hello! We always had our hearts set on IGP....because the IGP I want is so expensive, we went with AGP. Chose oval over round for lap swimming and teaching swim lessons. We love ours! The only thing I would have added is deep end for instructing my students. I also get nervous about pushing off of walls - but manufacturer says it's fine. It took me a while to get used to looking at it.....I think AGP can be an eye sore - but the fun has trumped that!! Upkeep is a cinch using TFP method. Maybe when this pool goes we will do Inground but for now the AGP is great.
    24,000 gallon, 21x43 Oval Wilbur AGP installed June 2015. 10'X24' deck. 2hp Aqua Pro Cartridge Filter. Using TFP method.

3. Back To Top    #3

We went with 24' round because the oval would take up a bigger footprint. The braces in the middle take up an extra 3 or 4 feet on each side that we didnt really want to account for.

See here, the supports on the straight sides....
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

We wanted an oval at first. When we went to look at them at the local dealer, they talked us out of it. The girl drew a circle on a piece of paper, and then put a two lines though it to make it an oval. She said look at all of that swim space, that was just eliminated to make an oval. Not to mention the extra bracing as said above. We are happy with the round pool. Lost of space. Also a round pool makes the outward pressure on the walls equal. Unlike an oval, that has extra pressure on the flat sides.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

5. Back To Top    #5

Growing up we had a tiny AGP, when I bought my house they had a large AGP and im happy I have a pool. If money wasn't a issue I would have a IGP no doubt and the main reason for that is the different depths of water that IGPs have. AGPs are normally just one depth.

Wayne
    24'X54" Round 15,000 Gallon Pool
    Pentair SD-60 Sand Filter With 1.5HP Pump & Center Floor Drain
    Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister
    New TFPC User And Couldn't Be Happier
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = A Perfect Trouble Free Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP sloshed

I haven't had an AGP so I can't compare. I would go for oval if you're thinking of swimming for exercise as you'd have a longer path, round if you just want to get wet and stay cool or for the kids to play in. It would also depend on what fits the little sliver of space you have to put it on.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
    We went with 24' round because the oval would take up a bigger footprint. The braces in the middle take up an extra 3 or 4 feet on each side that we didnt really want to account for.

See here, the supports on the straight sides....
    Many ovals today are buttress free. Which is what we went with we almost went with round but really wanted that extra length.

24,000 gallon, 21x43 Oval Wilbur AGP installed June 2015. 10'X24' deck. 2hp Aqua Pro Cartridge Filter. Using TFP method.

8. Back To Top    #8

Some MFGs use Narrow Yard for smaller buttresses. That is the type I have. The side that does not have a deck is 20" below grade and you cannot see the buttresses.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by yostmatt View Post
    We wanted an oval at first. When we went to look at them at the local dealer, they talked us out of it. The girl drew a circle on a piece of paper, and then put a two lines though it to make it an oval. She said look at all of that swim space, that was just eliminated to make an oval.
    Pool company drew the same picture for me. With our 30 ft. round, we have more than enough space.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

10. Back To Top    #10

Please excuse the weeds - we are getting ready to landscape around our pool but wanted to show you a pic of our buttress free oval pool. Takes up less space - but like someone else mentioned it really is based on what your family wants to use the pool for. One other reason we chose oval was to be able to set up volleyball easily in the pool. We bought ours at the poolfactory online.

11. Back To Top    #11

It was either an above ground pool or no pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter