Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool project - equipment still not all in and running - treat water?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool project - equipment still not all in and running - treat water?

Well I am still having issues getting my new pool project finished.

In the meantime it is pollen season here.

Since the equipment is not all hooked up and running I cannot filter the leaves and pollen that has already gotten into the pool.

Should I be treating this water to prevent algae or any other problems?

It is clear (other than the pollen and leaves).

I added a tarp to keep any new material from getting in.

I will run the spectrum of tests in my pool kit tonight and post numbers.

Just wondering if I need to be doing anything MORE to prevent a problem.

TIA!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool project - equipment still not all in and running - treat water?

Without circulation, your water tests will likely be wrong. About all you can add now is some bleach to keep algae from starting. Once the water is pumping, balancing a fresh fill shouldn't take but a couple hours, including trips to the store. If you have no CYA in the water yet, just target 3 on the FC every day and mix it in good with the pool brush. Poolmath can crunch the numbers for you.

Please edit your signature and tell us what you have.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, I will check FC and adjust to 3.

There has been no CYA every time I have checked it...which makes sense, it is city tap water.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, CYA won't be there until you add it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, I dug out my transfer pump and put it in the pool to stir. Added about half of the 73% cal-hypo the calculator wanted me to.

I'll stir this overnight and then check again tomorrow.

FC was zero...no pink at all...so glad I acted!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post

Please edit your signature and tell us what you have.
    I edited my signature, but it still doesn't show. Even logged out and back in.

Oh now it works!
    2015 7x12 exercise pool. 54" deep. Pebble coated. Adjacent spa is 8ft x 8ft triangle.
    Here's a pic...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jw9weq80r..._2016.jpg?dl=1

7. Back To Top    #7

I checked FC and it is a solid 3 now.

I also checked ph and it is off the small kit's scale.

I added about 8 oz of 15% muriatic and will check again tomorrow.

ETA

Just checked the ph and is now between the 7.5 and 7.8 tints.

TA is now 20.

Should I go ahead and add the baking soda? Pool math says 50 oz or so.
    2015 7x12 exercise pool. 54" deep. Pebble coated. Adjacent spa is 8ft x 8ft triangle.
    Here's a pic...

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, so the current mixing method is to run the transfer pump from the pool into the spa and let the spa spill over into the pool.

After some more research I think this aeration may be causing my pH to rise. That happens, right?

I have some CYA, maybe 10, if I am doing the test right...I have been adding well-dissolved stabilizer as possible. Still less than half of what pool math said to use.

pH was high again today, so I added some more MA.
    Here's a pic...

9. Back To Top    #9

OK, had the pH right last Friday, checked again today and it is back up off the scale.

Pool is brand new, plaster.

Here are the numbers from today's tests:
    FC=2.5
    CC=0
    CH=225
    TA=50
    pH=8.2+
    CYA=(very low, maybe 10-20)

Just keep adding MA?
    Here's a pic...

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, it is important to keep PH at 7.8 or lower at all times. Also, minimize running any water features that aerate the water like waterfalls, bubblers, etc. Those also raise PH.

Please add your state or country to your location in your profile so that it shows up over there <-----, climate is often an important factor when we are helping you with your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks!

OK, I will keep adding MA when it goes above.

I am in Georgia and I added that to my profile...apologies.

Is this normal for a new plaster pool to see the pH keep climbing?

I *was* mixing by running the transfer pump from pool to spa and letting the spillover return to the pool.
    Now I am running the transfer pump by itself in either the pool or spa for mixing.

Will add more stabilizer and MA as a minimum tonight.
    Here's a pic...

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Yes, it is completely normal for PH rise with new plaster. MA is your friend for a while
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

13. Back To Top    #13

ROGER ROGER!

I bought 2 gallons and thought I had overbought...maybe not!

I am diluting the added MA in a 16oz cup with water before tossing it in the pool, is that a good idea or necessary?
    Here's a pic...

14. Back To Top    #14

Not necessary, just pour slowly in front or a return. Here is a handy sheet on how to add chemicals, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

With new plaster PH could rise for up to a year while the plaster cures............I would test PH at least once a day if not two times a day due to the big rise you are having.

You do not need to dilute the MA. Just use care as I am sure you have found. It is yucky stuff!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the adding link, will read that and make some notes on chemicals.

I decided to drain the spa...the volume math I did was way off and I had added far too much of several chemicals. I'll start over tonight.

The pool is very close to being right. pH tests will be daily.
    Here's a pic...