Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting a handle on SWG output

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting a handle on SWG output

This has worked for me so I thought I'd pass it on.

I had new to me pool last year with a dead SWG. I ran it on bleach and learned a lot! I also took the time to figure out what I wanted for a replacement SWG.

Now that I had a new IC-40 to replace the IC-20 I have no idea where to set it. Here is what I did to get close on my first try.

I passed OCLT two days in a row first to het a handle on overnight loss.
    Maintain the FC level as precisely as possible at a target number of your choice for 2 days with no upsets like a thunderstorm.

Test FC just like for OCLT
    Set the SWG at an intermediate setting (for me 60%) and then run it overnight for a fixed time (for me 8hrs)
    Test FC just like for OCLT but you are looking for a GAIN. I guess this is an Overnight Chlorine Gain Test...

After doing this I can tell that my unit raises the pool 10ppm FC in 8 hours @ 60% output. Or 1.8ppm pet hour @ 60%

The rest is simple math to figure out how long to run to make up for daily loss...

Now let the FC drift down to your target, set it to uour calculated level and then fine tune with run time.

Hope this helps and is something new.

Thanks again to all for your help and advice as I have learned.
    12,000gal Fiberglass In Ground, Pentair 1hp single speed pump, and Pentair 100sq/ft single cartridge filter. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Roof mounted 400ft solar heat loop, Zodiac MX8 Elite cleaner w/leaf canister
    Taylor K-2006-C, Speed Stir, Taylor K-1766 salt test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting a handle on SWG output

I am running mine at 35% for 3 hour cycles, twice a day. May have to go up a little on % as the heat moves in.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Getting a handle on SWG output

I've started at 60% for 5 hours. I'll know in a few days how close it works out. I'm going to average my afternoon FC for a week to see what the result is.

I know it will vary with sun, heat, swimmer load, etc... this was just a way to get a pretty good idea of what my SWG output was. I thought that others might find it helpful to get a real world baseline.
    12,000gal Fiberglass In Ground, Pentair 1hp single speed pump, and Pentair 100sq/ft single cartridge filter. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Roof mounted 400ft solar heat loop, Zodiac MX8 Elite cleaner w/leaf canister
    Taylor K-2006-C, Speed Stir, Taylor K-1766 salt test