New Spa Plumbing Recommendations Please????

Hi guys, I have my concrete guys coming this week to work on my spa and I decided to do the plumbing on the spa myself. I am currently remodeling both my pool and spa. I will be canceling out my old spa return jets and raising my spa. I will be installing all new lines from the pump to the raised spa. My plan is to run two 2" return lines and seperate them to into six 2" total spa returns jets. Is this sufficient? Or should I do 2.5" pipe return and downsize to 2" at the spa? I was assuming two 2" lines would give better flow. My plaster guy said I should do 2.5" and downsize to 1.5" at the spa. What do you guys recommend? Also after the 2" spa lines are sticking out of the gunite, do I need to do anything else? Or will the plaster company take care of everything such as the venturri fittings during plastering? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1-1/2" for the returns, 2.5" loop in the perimeter of the spa, 3" supply, 2.5" air line.

The venturi jets join the air line and returns together and should be built into the spa wall. The only thing the plasterer should install are the eyeball return fittings.

Be sure to specify a Hartford loop for the air line

Reactions: awpoll
bdavis, thank your for the response I didn't know that I had to install an airline also. So basically I have to run two parallel lines on the spa and join them together at the pipe that goes in the gunite??
Should i Call a plumber to do this type of work I was only expecting to do the water plumbing had no idea that I had to run another pipe and use special fitting to join them together. Any advice?

The spa return line runs from the pump to the spa and then tees into the loop that runs the perimeter of the spa. Each jet return branches off the loop. The air line does the same with the exception of the Hartford loop that then tees into the loop that mirrors the return line. The air line ties into the return line at the venturi tees which have the return lines that run through the gunite.

Spa plumbing is not complicated so long as you understand what you are doing.

Why are you wanting 2 return lines?

Brian,
I went to Home Depot and all they had was 2" pvc so I decided to to use one line for each 3 jet sets. If I can find a plumbing store that carries the 2.5" I will use that instead, so I can just do a single run. I've done plumbing over the years and have some kind knowledge of it. What completly throws me off is the air line, I've looked at pictures on the Internet and see the both lines running but am still a little confused when it comes to understanding the connection to the air and thr water pipe, that's why I was considering a plumber. Brian by any chance do you have a diagram or photo on you how the airline ties in? Sorry about that this is my first spa and its taking me a bit to get a clearer picture..lol. Here is what I was planning on doing with the plumbing.

Venturi Tee

The return line plugs into the back of the pictured tee, the air line to the top, return stub into spa to the front side. The tees usually have arrows to indicate flow as well.

In your diagram, you'd be better off running parallel lines instead of independent runs. For the suction side if you are sticking with 2" pipe, you'll need 2 parallel runs as well. Each side of the returns should be connected to form a continuous loop.

I'm a big fan of 3". Where are you located that you aren't able to find 3" pipe?

Try a construction material supply house. I'm not sure what you're describing by "plumbing store" but here in the States you won't find that much at a hardware store like Ace or True Value. Do you have any "Big Box" home improvement stores like Home Depot or Lowes type stores? EDIT My reponse was based on my assumption you meant Ontario Canada not Ontario California. If you're in Cali, it shouldn't be too hard to find.:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.