Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Order of treatments? AA vs SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Order of treatments? AA vs SLAM

We need to balance the pool for the season (just opened it) and also have metal stains on the steps. I know how to SLAM and I've read the AA treatment. I know that raising the chlorine will just make the staining worse - so do I treat the stains and then slowly slam (is that even possible?) or slam first, let the FC fall, add polyquat and then do AA?
    ~35K gal, IG vinyl Grecian shape, Haywood sand filter, Polaris 380 (called "Buddy")
    located in central Arkansas
    Built in 1986 and looks better than ever!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Order of treatments? AA vs SLAM

Open/SLAM/Balance the pool first and get it clean. Then do the AA treatment.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Order of treatments? AA vs SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4
    Northern IL

JFN is right on the sequence you need to follow! However.... Sometimes with a vinyl pool, the staining will be only on the steps and not on the liner. You could try some vitamin C tabs on the steps after your slam. If that works, try some also on the liner and see if it makes any difference. Then you can decide if you need to do the full AA treatment or just treat the steps.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Fairfax, VA

I would do the vitamin C test mentioned by Marian. If the stains get lighter from the Vit C, you know it is metals.

Is the source of metals from your water supply? Did you use any algaecides in your pool when you closed? Some algeacides have metals, so we recommend only using polyquat 60. Also, some other pool store products have metals, so be careful what you add to the pool.
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig Heater 336K BTU, TF-100 test kit.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain