Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains in my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains in my pool

Hey out there! I found this website this morning looking for some advice on removing stains from my pool liner. I have a Doughboy oval above the ground pool .... 11,000 gallons. My pool water is clear. I don't cover my pool during the winter. We have several maple trees on the side so leaves, tree pollen, etc get in the pool. I keep leaves etc out of pool all winter. A couple of years ago we had a terrible time with pollen. So I believe the stains are organic but am not sure. How do I start ... Where do I start. Pool is about 5 yrs old. need help please.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains in my pool

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaCat View Post
    Hey out there! I found this website this morning looking for some advice on removing stains from my pool liner. I have a Doughboy oval above the ground pool .... 11,000 gallons. My pool water is clear. I don't cover my pool during the winter. We have several maple trees on the side so leaves, tree pollen, etc get in the pool. I keep leaves etc out of pool all winter. A couple of years ago we had a terrible time with pollen. So I believe the stains are organic but am not sure. How do I start ... Where do I start. Pool is about 5 yrs old. need help please.
    Welcome!

Organic stains will fade with time and chlorine.

First thing you try is a Vitamin C tablet, as cheap as you can find, no coatings or gelcaps. You might have some or a hypochondriac friend or relative will. Set the tablet on one of the stains (might be easiest to set a pipe in and drop the pill down that way) for a couple minutes and then brush it away. If you have a nice clean dot, you have metal stains. Here's how to deal with them. If no effect, then you set a chlorine puck on it for a couple minutes. They are acidic, so they will also lift metal stains, which is why you want to try the Vitamin C first. If it fades out now, it's organic. Just run your FC a little higher than minimum for a couple weeks and it will go away. Don't leave the puck on the stain, as the acidity can damage the liner.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't mean to sound stupid but what is FC? I usually take my water to the pool store and get it analyzed. I want to try and learn how to do this myself it is is not too difficult.
    Kathy (a.k.a AmeliaCat) Pool .. Doughboy Autumn Breeze .. 16x28 52".. Nature II cartridge .. Hayward pump .. Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle installed in 2010 opened July 4

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaCat View Post
    I don't mean to sound stupid but what is FC? I usually take my water to the pool store and get it analyzed. I want to try and learn how to do this myself it is is not too difficult.
    FCx means Free Chlorine. That's the good stuff. Clorox is FC. The smell you relate to public swimming pools is CC, the bad stuff. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry should help you understand our strange vocabulary.

There's tons of good info in Pool School. Take the time to read some stuff. Read until you feel like
    Oh, and don't skip the article on Test Kits. You won't likely find the ones we recommend in stock anywhere, but they will try to sell you something close. So read that article.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you .... Will read ....
    Kathy (a.k.a AmeliaCat) Pool .. Doughboy Autumn Breeze .. 16x28 52".. Nature II cartridge .. Hayward pump .. Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle installed in 2010 opened July 4

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome AmeliaCat. I see that you are new here and wanted to be sure that you received our warmest welcome!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome!!! They have you covered but I know how much info it can seem like just take a breath and dig in reading... It will click and then you will shake your head at much sense it makes...

Now, I have a hard time when I run to Wal-Mart or Home Dept and watch people grabbing stuff they don't need.. I just want to grab them and shake them lol

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

8. Back To Top    #8

Amelia, Welcome

I see you list the Nature2 in your pool equipment. Those things add metals to your pool and may be contributing to your stains. Take a sample of water to the pool store and ask them to test for metals. Then tell us what they found?

You really *can* and *should* test your water yourself. Its easy, but more importantly it tells you exactly what your water looks like chemically, and we can help teach you how to take those test results and make your water the best its ever been! And unlike the pool store, we're not selling your expensive potions that may or may not be what you *really* need. We use simple easy to find items to care for our pools- household bleach, Muriatic acid, maybe a little Borax or Baking soda. I promise you our method of pool care is much cheaper than the pool store's way.

Test kits that we trust: Taylor's K2006 or TF-100, both available at TFTestkits.net. About $68, but worth EVERY penny! I promise!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain