Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing unused gas heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing unused gas heater

Hey folks,

The gas heater shown in the attached picture has been installed since we bought our house 4.5 years ago. Best I can tell, it was installed when the house was built in 2001 and never used. There is no propane tank in my yard and no NG in the neighborhood. We have no intention to use it and based on my recent misadventures with acid, the core is likely shot.

To remove it, I would simply plumb down pipe from the solar directly into the valve on the lower right of the picture, bypassing the 2 sections of pipe the run underground, right? I have the right hand input on that valve (the one closest to the filter) labeled "input from filter" which means it would go through the solar, then into the gas heater, then back, right? I don't want to kill the plumbing...

Thanks for the help!

IMG_2315.jpg
    8,000gal IG w/pebble, screened in, solar heated, including spa. Hayward cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing unused gas heater

I think it would go more like this:
    heater gone.jpg
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Removing unused gas heater

Yep that's exactly what I was planning, and doing a horrible job of describing.

Thank you!
    8,000gal IG w/pebble, screened in, solar heated, including spa. Hayward cartridge filter.