Fire ants in the pump!!

Sep 19, 2013
Rome, GA
Opened the pool this weekend. When I went to fire up the pump...nothing! I started checking around the pump and realized that fire ants had built a mound by the pump and they were in the electrical side of the pump. I have taken steps to kill the little buggers but I hope this can be an easy fix. Anybody else out there had this happen? If so, is is as simple as cleaning the dirt out or will I be replacing the pump again this year? With it being electrical and all, I assume that I shouldn't spray the water hose in it to clean them out...

If they did what they typically do around my place, they managed to get dirt and all kinds of junk in there. You might be able to salvage things by turning-off power, and popping-off the motor cover to see if you can use some compressed air to blow-out their nest and junk. I wouldn't spray anything wet in there for sure. Once you think you have cleared-out as much debris as you can, re-attached the over, connect/apply power, and give it a shot. Maybe you caught them in time before they did any permanent damage.

I agree with Pat, invest in a $10 can of compressed air like they use to blow the dust out of computers and blow everything out and see if it will start. Make sure it is disconnected while cleaning it out. While the power is disconnected try to turn the shaft and make sure it is not bound up. Some times a few firm but gentle taps with a rubber mallet will free things up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.