Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Water problems

I've been slamming my pool for about a week now and although I have cleared the water up my water is still cloudy. Cya is at 40 so I'm using 16 as my chlorine shock level according to the cya/chlorine chart. When I started slamming I had a combined chlorine of 1 and I did get that down to 0. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fc 16
    Cc 0
    Cya 40
    Ta 70
    Ph 7.4
    Ch 100

13500 gallon above ground with pentair sand dollar sand filter, 1.5hp pentair pump with TF-100 test kit. Kaplan, Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water problems

Typo. Cya is at 40 not 49

13500 gallon above ground with pentair sand dollar sand filter, 1.5hp pentair pump with TF-100 test kit. Kaplan, Louisiana

3. Back To Top    #3

At this point we might ask the following questions related to your SLAM:
    - Have you been backwashing consistently when the pressure increases to 25%?
    - Scrubbing/sweeping daily - as much as possible each day?
    - Pump running 24/7?
    - When was the last time (if ever) your filter was deep cleaned?
    - Ladder removed and cleaned; even inside each ladder rung?
    - Do you have a light fixture perhaps that could hold algae behind it?

From there, assuming you've been doing all the items on the SLAM page consistently, it may still boil-down to time. Perhaps adding a little DE to your sand filter. I say perhaps because I would leave that as a last option only after ensuring everything else has been maintained. Normally we leave the OCLT for last, but I'm curious .. have you tried one yet?

- - - Updated - - -

The only other thing I can think of .... CYA. Just make sure (in good, bright daylight hours) that your CYA isn't actually higher that 40. If it was, then you may need a slightly higher SLAM level. But that's the only other thing that comes to mind at the moment.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

You're probably at the point now where you might want to re-read the SLAM article. The last line, where it says, "If you have a sand filter..."

Also, pull that ladder out and check it carefully. See the picture in Problem Found and Ideas needed
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have not pulled the ladder out so it looks like that is my next step. I have been back washing as frequently as needed. The pool is roughly 5 years old with Pentair sand dollar sd60 sand filter. Also I have been scrubbing morning and night and I've been vacuuming daily also.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ha ha . "Next step". I get it. Okay, bad pun. But that could be your culprit. You'd be amazed what those things can hide.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks I'll be pulling it today & I'll also do an oclt tonight

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like the ladder is my culprit! As soon as I started removing it I could see the green cloud.

9. Back To Top    #9

Well ... lookie there! Another ladder trying to hide on us. Good job.

10. Back To Top    #10

Another useful thread to save!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

One more question since it was mentioned a couple times. By telling me to add DE to my sand filter I'm assuming you're meaning D.E. Filter powder but what brand would be recommended?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Nickllm View Post
    One more question since it was mentioned a couple times. By telling me to add DE to my sand filter I'm assuming you're meaning D.E. Filter powder but what brand would be recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doesn't matter. See if any of the neighbors have any they'll let you have. You'll only need a few cups and the smallest package is a lifetime supply. Don't buy garden DE, even though it's in smaller packages. Not the same stuff. You might also see if a small bag of cellulose filter powder (Fiber Clear is one brand name) is cheaper, because you won't be using all that much. It's a DE substitute.

13. Back To Top    #13

So after further investigation and cleaning the ladder thoroughly I followed the link of the last person who had an algae problem in their ballast. I opened up the footing of my ladder and boom I found more algae hidden! You people have been a tremendous help!

14. Back To Top    #14

Good job!

15. Back To Top    #15

Good job, Texas and Nicklim!

Collinsville, Oklahoma
    Pool completed May 2015!
    20,000 gallon freeform IG plaster with spa, AutoPilot Nano+ SWG, 24" Hayward sand filter, 2 hp Hayward Super II pump, 400k btu NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump