Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Pump Seal Leak After Motor Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Pump Seal Leak After Motor Replacement

I replaced my 3/4 HP Polaris booster pump motor with a B625 A.O. Smith and ordered/used the Go-Kit 71V-9 for the seal and O-ring replacements. When I lined the pump back up, there was a large continuous leak from the seal area. Mind you, the booster pump was not even running. The leak was from the main pump pressure to the booster impeller/volute. I checked the seal installation and it seemed to be correct; however, the leak is large and the booster pump is not yet usable.

What did I do wrong? It's my 1st time to replace a motor/seals/O-rings; but I'm usually pretty good with repairs.

Thanks
    Rick
    In-ground, 14k gallons, plaster
    1 HP main circ pump, 3/4 HP booster pump for Polaris 280
    Jandy Aquapure 1400 Salt Water Generator
    Hayward HP21404t 140KBTU heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster Pump Seal Leak After Motor Replacement

Exactly where is it leaking? If it is leaking out of the motor shaft penetration point, then that would be the seal. Anywhere else would be a gasket/o-ring leak. The seals are a bit tricky to install correctly. They must be seated in the correct direction and avoid touching the surfaces.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Mark,

Thanks for the reply!

It's coming out of the shaft area right around where the impeller is located. It must be the seal. The only instruction that I had was YT video; but, it seemed straight forward. Is there a secret to the seal installation? Can the seal faces get wet and be reused? Is there a good tutorial for the seal replacement?

Thanks again
    Rick

4. Back To Top    #4

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm going to pull it apart this week and recheck the seal installation direction. The spring-y seal may be installed backwards. The impeller seal really only goes in one way; but, I'll check that one, also. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks
    Rick

6. Back To Top    #6

The carbon surface always faces the ceramic (both rubber surfaces face outward) but as a unit, sometimes it can be installed backwards and still look right.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    The carbon surface always faces the ceramic (both rubber surfaces face outward) but as a unit, sometimes it can be installed backwards and still look right.
    That was it. I had the rear seal installed backwards. Pulled it apart this afternoon and the Polaris was back working in less than an hour. Thanks for the help!
    Rick