Lowering Water Level - Plumbing

Apr 14, 2016
Waynesboro, PA
I'm switching over to hard plumbing this season, and am wondering if others have solved this before me. Usually, after rain I've lowered the water level back down using a submersible cover pump and hose. In my area, we received lots of rain last year resulting in me dragging out the hose, extension cord, and pump several times. Now for the question: I have a Hayward Power-FLO LX into a Hayward EC40 DE, and am wondering if others have installed a way to pump off excess water via a return line and how they did it. It'd be nice after a rain if I could use the pump to quickly lower the water level. Thanks in advance.

With an AG its simple. On the return line just before it enter the pool install at T off to a hose bib. When you want to drain open the hose bib. That will drain down to the return without the pump. If you want to drain more you probably need to use your current method. I am assuming you have no bottom drain.

With an AG its simple. On the return line just before it enter the pool install at T off to a hose bib. When you want to drain open the hose bib. That will drain down to the return without the pump. If you want to drain more you probably need to use your current method. I am assuming you have no bottom drain.

Assumption correct, no bottom drain. And the EC40 Perflex doesn't have a multi-port valve. I like the your idea of the system not being reliant on the filter pump, safer to drain the pool with the pump off. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure about the idea of using the return as a way of pulling water out. I would be worried about what would happen if the level goes to low and the pump runs dry. How about a submersible pump and a float switch like this one?

Good point, a simple task of lowering the water level could result in a costly mistake if left unattended. I'd be interested to see some pictures if anyone has one of these float valves setup for this purpose. Thanks attech-2!

Is there some reason you can't just hook up the vacuum and use the hose as a siphon? A 1½" hose can move some serious water even without anything more than atmospheric pressure on it.

I had siphoned with a garden hose, didn't think to try a vacuum hose. Thanks for the suggestion...

• If the pool water level is above-ground you can use your vacuum as a siphon. To do this, simply, hook up your vacuum with the pump running and the vacuum in the water, disconnect the vacuum hose at the skimmer, hold your hand over the end while it is under the water, pull that end rapidly over the the edge of the pool below the water line and let go. The siphon will start. This is the best way to vacuum, but, it can only be done on an above ground pool. Understand the moves before you try them. It works well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.