Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering Water Level - Plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering Water Level - Plumbing

I'm switching over to hard plumbing this season, and am wondering if others have solved this before me. Usually, after rain I've lowered the water level back down using a submersible cover pump and hose. In my area, we received lots of rain last year resulting in me dragging out the hose, extension cord, and pump several times. Now for the question: I have a Hayward Power-FLO LX into a Hayward EC40 DE, and am wondering if others have installed a way to pump off excess water via a return line and how they did it. It'd be nice after a rain if I could use the pump to quickly lower the water level. Thanks in advance.
    24' Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp - Hayward EC40C90 Perflex DE
    ColorQ Pro7 & TF 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering Water Level - Plumbing

With an AG its simple. On the return line just before it enter the pool install at T off to a hose bib. When you want to drain open the hose bib. That will drain down to the return without the pump. If you want to drain more you probably need to use your current method. I am assuming you have no bottom drain.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Not sure about the idea of using the return as a way of pulling water out. I would be worried about what would happen if the level goes to low and the pump runs dry. How about a submersible pump and a float switch like this one?
    2f854b6d-a31a-49d3-a221-048c8f3a9fe5_1000.jpg
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    With an AG its simple. On the return line just before it enter the pool install at T off to a hose bib. When you want to drain open the hose bib. That will drain down to the return without the pump. If you want to drain more you probably need to use your current method. I am assuming you have no bottom drain.
    Assumption correct, no bottom drain. And the EC40 Perflex doesn't have a multi-port valve. I like the your idea of the system not being reliant on the filter pump, safer to drain the pool with the pump off. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    Not sure about the idea of using the return as a way of pulling water out. I would be worried about what would happen if the level goes to low and the pump runs dry. How about a submersible pump and a float switch like this one?
    Good point, a simple task of lowering the water level could result in a costly mistake if left unattended. I'd be interested to see some pictures if anyone has one of these float valves setup for this purpose. Thanks attech-2!
    24' Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp - Hayward EC40C90 Perflex DE
    ColorQ Pro7 & TF 100

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there some reason you can't just hook up the vacuum and use the hose as a siphon? A 1" hose can move some serious water even without anything more than atmospheric pressure on it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Is there some reason you can't just hook up the vacuum and use the hose as a siphon? A 1" hose can move some serious water even without anything more than atmospheric pressure on it.
    I had siphoned with a garden hose, didn't think to try a vacuum hose. Thanks for the suggestion...

• If the pool water level is above-ground you can use your vacuum as a siphon. To do this, simply, hook up your vacuum with the pump running and the vacuum in the water, disconnect the vacuum hose at the skimmer, hold your hand over the end while it is under the water, pull that end rapidly over the the edge of the pool below the water line and let go. The siphon will start. This is the best way to vacuum, but, it can only be done on an above ground pool. Understand the moves before you try them. It works well.
    ColorQ Pro7 & TF 100