Need a new pump motor, could use help deciding what to get

Smeade

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2014
Ft. Wright, KY
I admit to being ignorant about all the parts and pieces, but I know we have a 1HP AOSmith motor on a Hayward pump. The motor has gone bad and needs to be replaced. We have replaced it before with exactly what we already had, but didn't know if this time we should be looking for something newer/better/more efficient, etc, etc. Is 1HP sufficient for a 23-24K gallon pool? We have nothing fancy (spa, fountain, etc.), just the pool, and we run the pump about 14 hours a day (which is probably unnecessary, just what we've always done).

As a side note, we have an ancient Intermatic T101 timer; can we have two different run times, say morning and evening? I think we'd have to buy an additional set of tabs, but don't know if that's even an option.

Thanks in advance! Everyone here is so helpful and friendly, I came straight here to ask for help.

On your pump you should see 2 numbers - SF, and HP. Multiply those numbers together, and look for a replacement motor with the same product.

Timer tabs for an Intermatic timer - available at Lowes / Home depot, or at least orderable on their website. One set of on/off should run you about $2-5.

Scooperhsd gave you some great advise. I ran into the same issue last season. If you replaced it yourself last time and it wasn't rusted/difficult, I would do it again. I ended up buying a new pump because of the free install and cash back. I don't regret the decision, but a smaller pump is better suited for my pool. Since you have a large pool a 2 speed or Variable Speed Pump would be a good choice. You really have to look at your options and available rebates. I know they sell replacement 2 speed motors that can work with your wet end. I really enjoy seeing moving water when ever I'm awake, a VSP makes scheduling that very easy.

Thanks for your input also, jokaankit. I am reasonably handy, just not when it comes to electricity and water. My husband replaced the last one, so I guess he can do it again with no trouble. I wondered it it would be beneficial to up the horsepower just a bit, but learned there's a lot more involved and decided to not create a headache for ourselves where there isn't one already.

I believe 3/4HP or 1HP is plenty for your pool but do multiply the sf and hp together to find the true horsepower needed for a direct replacement. Here is a link explaining why it matters How To Understand True Pump Horsepower - Up Rated vs Full Rated - INYOPools.com

The only time you would want to consider increasing the total horsepower is if you're considering putting up solar panels and a larger filter, then you might consider a more powerful pump. I think the consensus is that most pumps are already oversized. The smaller pumps use less energy, without spending big bucks on a digital pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.