Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So I almost "gassed" myself today

1. Back To Top    #1

So I almost "gassed" myself today

Somewhere in the Pool school It might be posted but I learned that pouring muratic acid into a cup that just had bleach in it creates chlorine gas and will hit you like a Mac truck if inhaled...
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So I almost "gassed" myself today

Sorry to hear that.

Many people don't pour chemicals into secondary containers but just dump straight from the containers and make decent approximations to amounts needed.

I do measure in secondary containers but I always use separate measuring cups for acids versus chlorine. I also fully rinse my measuring cups with pool water after pouring chemicals so that there is no residue left behind.

If you must measure & pour, then use separate measuring containers.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Just the fumes from the MA alone will leave you coughing and gasping. I always hold my breath and squint my eyes (even when wearing safety glasses) when I pour.

Glad you're still with us!
    24K gallon IG gunite (built 1976), plaster (Diamond Brite) redone (poorly) 2012
    Hayward EC65A DE filter Taylor K2006-C test kit
    Ft. Wright, KY (Cincinnati area)

Don't argue. Just get the kit. TF100 or Taylor K2006C

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't even store that MA bottle near bleach. The lid of the MA is made so it vents and it can cause things nearby to rust or get funky.

Skippy keeps our MA in a lock box outside behind the pool equipment, and the liquid chlorine in the pool shed.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I tried to use a metal spoon to measure MA for my spa, as I had no container to measure it into. Took the top layer off the metal. Whoops!! Man it smells bad though.
    5900 litre or 1558 gal above ground swim spa. Approx 5 years old and heated to 37 degrees celsius year round. Cartridge filter, ozonator, Nature2 mineral sanitiser, Aqua Health non chlorine based shock, Lithium Hypochlorite dosed at each spa usage. Filled using mostly stored rainwater from tanks, and town water when the tanks are drained.

6. Back To Top    #6

I hate MA fumes. I was trying to be so careful. I decided to be "smart" and set my bucket on the shelf of 6 inch water to avoid "spills." I filled my bucket with pool water and then poured in the MA. I looked down since I'm over it. About that time the vapor rose up. Crazily I got a whiff as I breathed. OMG. I jumped and held my breath. I still can feel where it hit my esophagus. Long story short: let hubby do the MA. Don't stand over and look down and wear protective gear. It is really caustic. I too have ours in a locked all plastic cabinet. It is on the deck, but we are going to move it to the side of the house in the shade this summer to get it off the deck. I don't want it too close to anything because of the venting. Ok. I guess I've made my point about not being too careful with MA.

New pool build in Manor, Texas. 2015. 509 sq. feet; 31'6" x 19'10". Sunshelf & bubbler and waterfall sheer. Gunite inground pool. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump; Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge; Inline chlorination w/UV Sys;Lighting:Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED 120V;Cleaner: KK Racer w/booster.Bench/ledge;limestone Coping; Verona Tile 562 Decking

7. Back To Top    #7

I've always considered myself careful with MA...

I even go so far as to use a small screwdriver to remove the protective foil from a new bottle. I thought this was a good idea, then realized no amount of rinsing in pool water (or tap water, for that matter) would prevent the acid from doing what it does to the screwdriver. I now have a screwdriver handle attached to about 2/3 of a rusty, pitted shaft.

If it'll do that to chromium-plated steel, just imagine what it'll do to your lungs and eyes.
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

8. Back To Top    #8

I learned the hard way not to store open MA containers indoors. My pool equip is in a room off my closet, and I unfortunately put my MA bottles in there, which caused MA gas to go through the garage and rust any exposed metal it could find.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by COBrien View Post

I even go so far as to use a small screwdriver to remove the protective foil from a new bottle. I thought this was a good idea, then realized no amount of rinsing in pool water (or tap water, for that matter) would prevent the acid from doing what it does to the screwdriver. I now have a screwdriver handle attached to about 2/3 of a rusty, pitted shaft.

If it'll do that to chromium-plated steel, just imagine what it'll do to your lungs and eyes.
    I use a plastic knife from Wendy's to get the foil out of the MA bottle.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    I use a plastic knife from Wendy's to get the foil out of the MA bottle.
    I use my fingers. It never has hurt a thing.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

I am happy to say that's never happened to me. I always rinse the cup a couple times in the pool after I use it, upstream of where I poured stuff in.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by COBrien View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    I use my fingers. It never has hurt a thing.
    If it will do THAT to a metal screw driver WHY would you even take the chance with your FINGER?? OUCH! I have a plastic knife just for this job. I also have a plastic measuring cup that is stored with and used ONLY for MA.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit