question about FC target level

The key number is a minimum of 3ppm FC for 40 CYA. The target is there to keep you above 3 all the time. Every pool is a little different so the target can be adjusted as you watch how your pool reacts.

Hi Dave. For our non-SWG pools, adding chlorine manually is usually accomplished once a day. As Tim noted, we NEVER want to fall below the minimum recommended level, so it's not uncommon for some owners to "flex" their target by 1-2 ppm so that their FC hovers right around the TFP target throughout the day. Remember to allow for normal daily consumption of 2-4 ppm so that you don't ever go below your assigned minimum level. As for when to add the bleach, it's a personal thing really. For many it's based on their schedule. I do mine in the evening out of convenience, but many add bleach in the AM with great results as well.

You should try to figure out what your day time loss of FC is. That will determine where your target level should be kept (Target FC = Min FC + daytime FC loss). If the loss rate to daytime UV gets high enough, you can reduce it by increasing your CYA but you will need to increase your min FC to maintain the recommended FC/CYA ratio for your pool.

David,

Here are a couple of other things to consider in your target FC = 5, CYA of 40 and min FC = 3. [note, anyone of the above can critique my points bc now I've done a lot of reading and could be dangerous]

1. How much sun does your pool receive? Does the house block it in the morning, afternoon or neither? The more sun, the more consumption of CL, so adding at night does not use CL
2. Do you have trees around or anything else that puts organics into the pool, esp if it's windy. The more organics, the more consumption of CL..wind usually blows more in the day, so more chance of leaves in your pool during the day. - also, if your skimmer bowls are full w leaves, remove them ASAP...
3. How does your pool get CL and what type is it? Any of the tablets or non liquid Chlorines [di-trichlor's ] add CYA to your pool, thus inevitably it will take more CL to protect your water as noted by Matt above.
4. water temps - the cooler the water, the less CL used, also, the higher the pool activity or spa used and water heated, the greater the usage of CL

Every pool/surroundings/environment elements are diff...you need to consider all of the above and build that into your target FC, thus impacting your Min FC.

Regards, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.