Filter and pump sizing

ezil71

Apr 7, 2016
Tallahassee
I'm a new pool owner and have read through as much as I can on the site, very helpful.

my system is was built around 94, using 1 1/2 piping. 2 skimmers and main drain are very far from the pump (80-100 ft each for return lines, about 30-50 each for supply jets x 3 plus small jet by stairs)

28,500 gallons, 27" sand filter, 1.1 hp pump and Polaris booster.

my filter and Polaris pump need replacing

am am I correct that I am limited to about a 45 gpm flow because of the piping? I know bigger is better to some degree with the filter, but at that flow rate it looks like a 24" filter is still enough, even a 22 could work?

im confused on total head given the lengths vs the charts I'm seeing for pumps. Could I get rid of my booster if I put a two stage pump in?

thanks for the help

The limit on the piping is not true. I would have a 30" filter for that pump and pool.

The booster is there to run your cleaner, right? A 2-speed pump will not help for that. I thought you are replacing filter AND your booster pump and apparently keeping your main pool pump?????

Yes, I was asking about the 2 speed in case I could replace both pumps and just have 1. Sounds like the answer is no.

If the pipe limit isn't true, what size pump (main) would I be looking for? Is the total head calculation just an average of the pressure side length(s) or is it the total of all pressure/return lines?

Why a 30" if even a 22" could work? I know that you can go bigger, but can't you also go too big on filter size? With my existing plumbing and platform for the pump/filter going bigger could be a bit tricky unless there is a really big advantage. From what I can tell 24 or 27 would be the recommended size?

Because bigger is almost always better with filters. I would get at least a 30" for your pool. It means you will have to backwash less often and the pool will operate at a lower pressure the vast majority of the time.

I'm not an expert on pumps. However you can eliminate the booster entirely if you go with a robot. Expensive to purchase they are much cheaper to operate and you won't have to deal with the booster pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.