Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter and pump sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter and pump sizing

I'm a new pool owner and have read through as much as I can on the site, very helpful.

my system is was built around 94, using 1 1/2 piping. 2 skimmers and main drain are very far from the pump (80-100 ft each for return lines, about 30-50 each for supply jets x 3 plus small jet by stairs)

28,500 gallons, 27" sand filter, 1.1 hp pump and Polaris booster.

my filter and Polaris pump need replacing

am am I correct that I am limited to about a 45 gpm flow because of the piping? I know bigger is better to some degree with the filter, but at that flow rate it looks like a 24" filter is still enough, even a 22 could work?

im confused on total head given the lengths vs the charts I'm seeing for pumps. Could I get rid of my booster if I put a two stage pump in?

thanks for the help
    28,000 vinyl with sand filter and auqarite SWG 1.1hp pump polaris booster

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Filter and pump sizing

The limit on the piping is not true. I would have a 30" filter for that pump and pool.

The booster is there to run your cleaner, right? A 2-speed pump will not help for that. I thought you are replacing filter AND your booster pump and apparently keeping your main pool pump?????
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I was asking about the 2 speed in case I could replace both pumps and just have 1. Sounds like the answer is no.

If the pipe limit isn't true, what size pump (main) would I be looking for? Is the total head calculation just an average of the pressure side length(s) or is it the total of all pressure/return lines?

Why a 30" if even a 22" could work? I know that you can go bigger, but can't you also go too big on filter size? With my existing plumbing and platform for the pump/filter going bigger could be a bit tricky unless there is a really big advantage. From what I can tell 24 or 27 would be the recommended size?

4. Back To Top    #4

Because bigger is almost always better with filters. I would get at least a 30" for your pool. It means you will have to backwash less often and the pool will operate at a lower pressure the vast majority of the time.

I'm not an expert on pumps. However you can eliminate the booster entirely if you go with a robot. Expensive to purchase they are much cheaper to operate and you won't have to deal with the booster pump.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

but can't you also go too big on filter size?
    It would be hard to do. About the only way would be to get one so big your pump didn't have enough "oomph" to backwash.

A 30" filter is just about right for your pool.
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks.

given the long runs to the skimmers and drain, is my main pump enough at 1.1 hp? From what I've read it should be closer to 1.5, but I was confused by the 45 gpm limit on the 1.5" pipes.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

There should be on the pump spec plate and SF (service factor) number. What does that say?
    Dave S.