Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alge in hoses & pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Alge in hoses & pump

I've drained and scrubbed the pool after algae took over over the winter. The water is clear ( no chemicals yet) and is still filling. However, I just noticed algae is in the hoses and pump. Do I need to clean these with bleach solution before running the pump? If algae is in the hoses or pump, will my new water start the whole algae over?

Thanks!
    ashleyc - Intex 15'x48" circle AG /5,300 gal / Cartridge B / Intex 633T Filter Pump / Test Kit TF-100 / Set up (2nd time) 4/16/16

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Alge in hoses & pump

No. You can kill the algae with chlorine but you want to get some in your pool right away. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School......it's a good place to begin.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Ashley. Of course Dave is right. But you might also consider brushing-up now on the SLAM link below in my sig..... just in case you need it. With algae already in the some of the lines, it may very-well try to make a home in that new body of water. The sooner you can hit HEB or Wal-Mart for a few gallons of bleach the better. The generic Bravo or Great Value work just fine. Stick close to the other two links below (Recommended Levels and Chlorine/CYA Chart) since those tell you exactly what you need. Best of luck today.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. From what I've gathered on your site, I should (1) get my PH correct. Wait 30 minutes. (2) Add stabilizer to be about 30 (with an end goal of 50). Wait 2 hours and then (3) begin adding the bleach. All this time the pump is running. Is this correct?
    We put the pool up in July last summer and had to drain it 3 times b/c of CYA getting over 100. I relied on the pool supply company - I do NOT want to go back there again!
    ashleyc - Intex 15'x48" circle AG /5,300 gal / Cartridge B / Intex 633T Filter Pump / Test Kit TF-100 / Set up (2nd time) 4/16/16

5. Back To Top    #5

Ashley,

That is correct. Great job.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC