Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump

I need to replace my pool pump which is a single speed, 1hp pump. My pool is a rectangle, 16x32' and averages about 4.5' deep. The only thing inaddition to the skimmer that I run is a Kreepy Krawler. I am looking at replacing with a Variable speed pump, specifically the Hayward SP2302VSP which varies from 3/4hp to 1.5hp. I currently have a timer attached to my pump. Does anyone have any comments or recommendations?
    Thank you,
    Ron

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump

Hello Ron, and welcome to TFP! You have such a simple scenario, some might even say a 2-speed would suffice, but we have tons of VSP owners who love them, so I'm sure you'll gear something soon. I would suspect that with a VSP, you may no longer need a separate timer as many of them are programmable in themselves. But I'll let one of those VSP owners speak specifically to you about that as well. Glad to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just bought a Circupool VJ1 which is a Speck EcoM3. Can't beat German machines and no silly warranty issues if you install it yourself.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

I need to replace my pool pump which is a single speed, 1hp pump.
    Why? If it is just a motor failure, one option is to replace the motor with a two speed motor at a far less cost than a new pump. A two speed pump will save almost as much as a VS in energy costs and for your rates would probably have a lower lifetime cost (purchase + energy) than a VS pump.

If you are settled on a VS pump, check your local power company for rebates. Also, make sure you install surge protection because VS pumps are very vulnerable to power surges and very expensive to fix.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater