Pool opening, water is green, what shall I throw in there?

Keep your FC 24 until all three of these things happen:

1. your water is completely clear. not almost clear. not a little cloudy. clear...like crystal.
2. the CC is 0.5 or less
3. overnight loss is < 1 ppm

Are you brushing daily?

Thanks for the nice posts guys!
One more question. So I keep this 24 FC number going for how long? Until the pool clears? When do I start testing for CC? When do I do that FC loss test?
Ok that was 4 questions, I apologize :confused:

Thanks again

Pat

You are doing great so far! There are 3 criteria listed in the SLAM procedure that you should meet before ending the SLAM.

1. CC is 0.5 or lower
2. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less)
3. The water is clear

Keep your FC at our just above 24 until all three criteria are met. If you don't meet all 3 criteria there is probably some algae hiding somewhere.

I generally test for CC every time I test FC.

I am pretty new to this, but based on the other posts I have read, most people seem to wait until their water is clear (or mostly clear) and CC is 0.5 or lower before doing an OCLT.

Ok so everything seems to go fine. I keep testing the FC and adding bleach as needed to keep it at 24. Just for fun today I tested CC and figured it would be high but I got a number of 0. How is that possible, isn't the FC becoming CC?

Thanks

Pat

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's correct. Sometimes one (or two) of the 3 SLAM criteria can pass, but one is stubborn. That's when you just have to be patient, continue everything on the SLAM page and press-on. Eventually the algae will be eliminated, you'll pass all 3 criteria, leaving you with nothing to do but sweep & swim. :swim:

Progress is good. Now you're in it for the long-haul. Keep some bleach nearby, check FC on a routine basis to bump-up FC, and press along with your day. Scrubbing and filter washes are a good thing. Good you're doing it (SLAM) now. Warm weather is approaching fast. :swim:

Wow

Getting impatient here now. I have been slamming for 14 days and still not done. I am adjusting my FC daily to my target of 24 and cleaning filters. Water is definitely getting clearer. With a water temp of 77 degrees I am itching to get in the water.
How much longer do you think?

Thxs

Pat

Really hard to tell. At least you are seeing water clarity improvement. Have you verified your CYA lately just to be safe? Just to make sure your FC is at the correct (optimal) performance? I didn't go back to the beginning, but have you revisited any items in the water that may be holding any residual algae (i.e. ladder, light niche, etc)? Still scrubbing the pool interior each day? 14 days is a long time. How about a pic so we can see the progress?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.