Pool opening, water is green, what shall I throw in there?

Aw, Pat. Don't just throw a bunch of stuff in your pool. That's just asking for trouble.

Get everything up and running for a couple of hours and then use that Taylor test kit you have and post up a full set of numbers. You already know if you see green, you need to follow the SLAM procedure.

Oh, and post up pictures for my entertainment please. Good luck!

Hi

Ok the filter has been running for a couple of hours so I tested.

-There is no chlorine in the pool, level after testing is 0.
-PH is a little high at 7.8, I hope this level is ok to go on with the slam.
-CYA level is 60PPM

I won't do anything else until the experts answer.

Thanks to all

Pat

From one Pat to another ... hello! :wave: Yes, I foresee a SLAM in your future. I also think you should review the Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool page just to ensure you haven't forgotten anything important from the winterization process. IT's good you still have CYA. It's a bit high which will require more bleach, but that's okay. You'll need to reduce the pH before starting the SLAM. Shoot for a target of 7.2-7.5 with acid first, then raise your FC to 24 and most importantly ... "maintain" that FC of 24 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Read everything on the SLAM page and you'll do just fine. If you have any questions, please let us know.

OK I read the article on opening the pool, I didn't miss much on my own beside testing TA which I will do now.
SoI need to lower my PH, what is this acid you mention to lower it? Can I buy it at lowes or home depot?
About the chlorine which needs to be at 24. Do I start adding the chlorine tablets I have one at a time while testing daily until I reach 24?

Thanks so much

Pat

Yes, muriatic acid like one of these (notice the 31.45% strength):

Or from your local pool store.

For chlorine, use regular liquid bleach from your local grocery store. No pool store tablets or pucks as they will distort other levels (CYA). Regular bleach (generic is fine) is the BEST. Make sure it is NOT splashless or contains any scents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
raise your FC to 24 and most importantly ... "maintain" that FC of 24 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Read everything on the SLAM page and you'll do just fine. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Ok here is one more question. I don't understand how to raise the FC to 24? What is that 24? On the TFP poolmath calculator it says you can target 2-6.
I got the PH figured out.

Sorry for the stupid question

Thanks

Pat

Pool Math has default amounts listed. You put in your current levels and then you change your target FC to 24 which will tell you how much bleach to add to reach your target of 24.

Pour the bleach slowing in front of a return. Brush your pool and retest your FC in 30 minutes, put in the new FC amount and keep the target FC at 24. Add the required amount of bleach to reach your target of 24.

As your pool holds FC longer, you can increase the time between testing and adding bleach. Don't bother testing anything other than FC for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.