New Construction - Flagstone coping - Bullnose OR smooth edges???

Hi everyone. We are in the process of building our pool. So far the PB has completed the excavation, plumbing and rebar. We decided to go with a flagstone coping. I know we will need to seal it because of the salt water system. Should we bullnose OR smooth the edge of the flagstone (the edge that faces the inside of the pool)? I don't want to leave it with the natural look. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for all your help. This whole process has been a lot more stressful than I had anticipated, but exciting at the same time. Thanks again, Kristie

Totally personal preference and perhaps budget related, I wold suspect the bull nose would cost a bit more. I do like the bull nose and I think it would be a little more resistant to chipping from impacts than a square edge but then again I am at a loss to think of things that would hit the nose with enough force to cause damage to either type of edge. My wife's nephew tripped and slid into the pool like a dolphin at Sea World the very first time we used the pool. I am sure it did not feel good but might have been worse with a square edge not that that was why we chose the bull nose.

Agree, it's a design choice that will be based on the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. I have 3" AZ flagstone coping and it is just rough cut and chiseled edges. That's the look that fits with our pool.

As for sealing and salt water, the two are not mutually required. My FS is unsealed, I have a salt water pool and it looks beautiful. I live in an area with very little rain and very high temps so my FS should be falling apart according to "conventional wisdom" but it's not. Where you live, I suspect you'd have plenty of rainfall where salt water is not an issue at all. Of corse, sealing is also a personal choice as some people like the water-repellant nature of sealing and the darker look it gives to stone. Just know that it is not an absolute that if you have FS then it must be sealed.

I vote for squared edge (just a preference as mentioned :D). I'm with Joyfulnoise too, I would not seal it unless you want to...don't feel compelled to.

Even with the square edge, the builder can soften the top edge by a little grinding. Saw it at my neighbors pool and you can barely see it unless you are looking for it. We are planning to do exactly that to keep everything "square" in our rectangle pool.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

And yes...not planning to seal it. We are doing marble pavers. Between the cost of yearly sealing, the potential slippery-ness that can come from the wrong sealant, I am just going to leave it as is. Maybe hose it down whenever I remember or trust the Houston rains to do its thing.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

We went square edge and I used a grinder to bevel the edge as mentioned above. It was fun and gave me a DIY aspect to the pool. I also hit the edge of our bluestone table tops with the grinder. Perfect compromise if you like the square edge aesthetic.

And welcome to the forum!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have chipped FS-

A76951D9-A0FF-46D4-9992-12D8E02C9D4F_zpsjjk7vxun.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.