Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Construction - Flagstone coping - Bullnose OR smooth edges???

1. Back To Top    #1

New Construction - Flagstone coping - Bullnose OR smooth edges???

Hi everyone. We are in the process of building our pool. So far the PB has completed the excavation, plumbing and rebar. We decided to go with a flagstone coping. I know we will need to seal it because of the salt water system. Should we bullnose OR smooth the edge of the flagstone (the edge that faces the inside of the pool)? I don't want to leave it with the natural look. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for all your help. This whole process has been a lot more stressful than I had anticipated, but exciting at the same time. Thanks again, Kristie
    Excavation: April 2016; 20x30 freeform inground gunite pool; Depth: 4/4.5/4; 8 x 15 tanning ledge with bubbler and umbrella sleve; 12" flagstone multi-color coping; Sapphire quartz plaster; 760 sq feet sundeck; SmartLight LED; Pump size: 1 1/2 HP (2 spd); Filter: 450 Micro Ban; Pool Cleaner: Ultra Spirit; Automatic surface skimmer: 2; Adjustable return inlets: 6; P-4 salt system.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Construction - Flagstone coping - Bullnose OR smooth edges???

Totally personal preference and perhaps budget related, I wold suspect the bull nose would cost a bit more. I do like the bull nose and I think it would be a little more resistant to chipping from impacts than a square edge but then again I am at a loss to think of things that would hit the nose with enough force to cause damage to either type of edge. My wife's nephew tripped and slid into the pool like a dolphin at Sea World the very first time we used the pool. I am sure it did not feel good but might have been worse with a square edge not that that was why we chose the bull nose.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

New Construction - Flagstone coping - Bullnose OR smooth edges???

Agree, it's a design choice that will be based on the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. I have 3" AZ flagstone coping and it is just rough cut and chiseled edges. That's the look that fits with our pool.

As for sealing and salt water, the two are not mutually required. My FS is unsealed, I have a salt water pool and it looks beautiful. I live in an area with very little rain and very high temps so my FS should be falling apart according to "conventional wisdom" but it's not. Where you live, I suspect you'd have plenty of rainfall where salt water is not an issue at all. Of corse, sealing is also a personal choice as some people like the water-repellant nature of sealing and the darker look it gives to stone. Just know that it is not an absolute that if you have FS then it must be sealed.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I vote for squared edge (just a preference as mentioned ). I'm with Joyfulnoise too, I would not seal it unless you want to...don't feel compelled to.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks a bunch for the help and advice!! Y'all have been very helpful!! I thought you had to seal the stone to protect it from the salt water, so it is good to know that we don't have to do that.
    Excavation: April 2016; 20x30 freeform inground gunite pool; Depth: 4/4.5/4; 8 x 15 tanning ledge with bubbler and umbrella sleve; 12" flagstone multi-color coping; Sapphire quartz plaster; 760 sq feet sundeck; SmartLight LED; Pump size: 1 1/2 HP (2 spd); Filter: 450 Micro Ban; Pool Cleaner: Ultra Spirit; Automatic surface skimmer: 2; Adjustable return inlets: 6; P-4 salt system.

6. Back To Top    #6

Even with the square edge, the builder can soften the top edge by a little grinding. Saw it at my neighbors pool and you can barely see it unless you are looking for it. We are planning to do exactly that to keep everything "square" in our rectangle pool.

Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

7. Back To Top    #7

And yes...not planning to seal it. We are doing marble pavers. Between the cost of yearly sealing, the potential slippery-ness that can come from the wrong sealant, I am just going to leave it as is. Maybe hose it down whenever I remember or trust the Houston rains to do its thing.

Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

We went square edge and I used a grinder to bevel the edge as mentioned above. It was fun and gave me a DIY aspect to the pool. I also hit the edge of our bluestone table tops with the grinder. Perfect compromise if you like the square edge aesthetic.

And welcome to the forum!!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Bmoreswim...."bevel" was the term I was looking for...lol

10. Back To Top    #10

Does anybody here have a chipped edge on their flagstone? My installed came over today and asked me if I wanted my edge smooth (cut by machine) or chipped edges which is more expensive. Have no idea what a chipped edge looks like.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have chipped edge flagstone, aka chiseled edge. Pics in build thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

We paid about $350 to do the bullnose on our travertine coping. We wanted a smoother surface, so no one would scratch themselves if they rubbed/slid against it getting in or out of the pool.
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have chipped FS-

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates