Concerns about vinyl liner pool being built!

karlyc

Apr 17, 2016
PEKIN
Hello! I'm new to the forum and hoping you guys might have some insight for me. We're in the process of having a steel wall, vinyl liner pool put in and I have some major concerns right now.

The installer had everything dug out for a 36 inch shallow end when we reminded him that we wanted 48 inches. He said no problem and just dug the shallow end a foot deeper. The steel walls are sitting on a little lip of dirt. Since he already had the steel walls and steel steps (vinyl over steel) in place, the bottom step is a full 22 inches deep, compared to the other steps that are about 11 inches deep. It's waaaaaay to tall of a step.

I just discovered this on Friday night and haven't been able to chat with him about it, but I'm seriously not sleeping because I'm so stressed about it. Haha.

I believe he was just planning to leave as is, because he's already half way done with pool-krete on the deep end and hasn't mentioned the issue to me at all. It doesn't look like it's possible for him to add another steel step because of the way they are bolted in. I'm nervous that when I bring it up he is going to want to just leave it as is or try to do a poured concrete step and cover that with the liner as well. I'm wondering if that's a good idea or if the liner will be more likely to rip if he did a concrete step?

Does anyone have any advice here? I should be talking to him tomorrow and I just want to have an idea of how to respond if he starts throwing out options.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, we haven't yet paid the 3rd or 4th installments. Good point!

The contract states that the depth is still to be decided as we were unsure when we signed. We chose the depth back in February when we picked the liner and water features, but none of that was written on the contract, unfortunately.

Often the first step in a pool is taller than the rest because of sloping depths, etc. Ours is more than a foot in places, I can't remember exactly, maybe 18". It is a non issue because of the buoyancy you have in the water. On swimouts there is no step and even stepping from the bottom 4'-5' deep to an 18" deep bench isn't all that difficult.

From a practical standpoint pooldv above is correct. and its often common for bottom steps to be of greater rise. Now what size liner did he order? Has he ordered it?

How are your steps constructed?

My concern is how the steel to ground transition will look.

These are some things to talk about.

But remember the financial leverage mentioned by Dave above.

Post pictures and we can comment more.

Hi. It seems as if he wasn't aware, forgot, etc. that you wanted it deeper otherwise he would have ordered the taller walls. Mine is a vinyl liner and it has a 48" depth in the shallow end and the walls are 48" tall. It can be fixed though. Once the pools start to get deeper than the initial shallow end (be it 36, 42, 48 inches) the steel wall sits on the ledge of dirt as you described. There is concrete on both sides so it will remain stable (no need to worry about that). As for the last step if he does a concrete step at the bottom it won't rip the liner. They will put a thin foam covering over it (and the steel steps too) that will protect it. It wouldn't be much different than the pool floor. But as mentioned the liner needs to be ordered correctly (his worry). The water exerts so much pressure on the liner it will not move or rub on the steps. I would not have know that there was a foam liner over my steps had i not seen it before they put it in (the water squeezes it flat).

In any building process mistakes will happen so you just need to be reassured that it will be properly corrected. As was mentioned, with a unite pool the steps are of varying heights as well. I think it will turn out fine but you are correct to have your concerns addressed. By the way good move to get the liner covered steps. It makes a big difference. For me it was an $800 add on but I'm glad I did it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.