Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to open pool and ran into a huge leaking problem!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to open pool and ran into a huge leaking problem!!

Well at the end of last season I noticed my pool not holding water. Meaning I was adding water often, so I decided to let it lower as far down as it would, but I didn't get it taken care of. The water is now after all winter about 6 inches or maybe a lil more below skimmer. And below the return lines as well. But still above the light in the deep end of pool. So over winter cover fell in and loads of leafs and now I have a swamp with a bad leak. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I am thinking get as much debris out as I can, and then?????????????

27000 inground
    guessing on dimensions
    18' X 38'
    Sand Filter

but possibly buying a cheap pump to clean this thing and keep on hand if happens to go green again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to open pool and ran into a huge leaking problem!!

You certainly want to try and remove the muck from the pool. Of course you can't begin a SLAM to clear the water until you can start circulation again when the water level is back to normal. But since the water drop has stopped, now "might" be the right time to try and repair the culprit. Sounds like the water dropping stopped at an odd place though (between fixtures). I wonder, since the light is the only thing still under, if the force of remaining pressure has anything to do with pushing water out of the light fixture? If you don't see anything obvious along the water line where the water stopped leaking, but it continued peaking past the skimmer and returns, then the light is the only thing that still seems possible. Possible that the light conduit cracked where it connects behind the bulb in the shell, and with more water (more pressure) it's able to push harder against the housing to result in a leak? Physics wasn't my strong suit, but that's the only thing that still sticks-out in my mind.

You might get to a point where you have to fill it up and SLAM to clear the water before anyone can safely enter the pool to repair it or investigate further. Let's see what others think as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this pool vinyl or fiberglass?

It's possible you have a leak at the gasket if you have molded steps and a vinyl liner. It could also be a leak in the main drain pipe, or the light conduit. Always remember that water seeks its own level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Vinyl liner