Plumbing

Jan 30, 2016
San Antonio
After research and calculations the plumbing upgrade begins. Currently the pool has 1.5 inch pipe and appears to have had multiple repairs. The pool currently has 3 returns 2 in deep end and the other appears as an old suction line that was converted to a return line. The pool has 1 skimmer and the main drain has been concreted over. A second skimmer will be added and would like to add 2 more return lines in the shallow end of pool. The plumbing will be replaced with 2 inch and run parallel. Valves will be added at the pool pad to separate the skimmers and return lines. A vs pump (not sure which pentair) and cartridge filter will be used.

Questions:

Is a reducer used for the 2 to 1.5 existing return lines? Will this have significant pressure problems?

How are return lines added in a gunite pool? How large should the hole be? How to reseal the hole?

Anything I am missing?

Thank you for the help

A rotor hammer with a 2“ bit will punch the holes needed fairly quick. Be careful when using, if you hit rebar bit stops spinning and you can get a strong kick from the hammer. Hydraulic cement is what most people seal around pipe with. Pour small amount of concrete in back of gunite to secure pipe in place, and then hydraulic cement on the interior side. Plaster patch next if pool is not being replastered.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

And if they hit rebar, they should retreat, try again and patch correct? Just clarifying.

I was coming at that question from the "difficulty of drilling through it" aspect. I personally wouldn't be concerned at all about the repercussions of going through a piece of rebar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.