Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Don't bleach out the liner...

1. Back To Top    #1

"Don't bleach out the liner...

...like the last one". That's what the wife told me. The last liner only lasted a little over 5 years. Unlike my previous pool which required very minimal maintenance and spoiled me. This pool has a very narrow balance point it seems.

I'm not sure exactly which bone headed thing I did, but I did something that bleached the liner, and at the end of its life was brittle along the entire bottom. However, the sides/walls where supple like the day it was installed. First question, what could I have done? Would this be a result of too much bleach/chlorine? Ph being too low? (I've never had problems with pH being too high)

For the past 2 or 3 years I've used 8.25% bleach to maintain chlorine levels. I had a problem with mustard algae a year or so ago, and I followed SLAM. Actually, I think I used SLAM opening last year also.
    Spanish Fort, AL, 24k gallons, sand filter, and new Rainbow 320 chlorinator and liner April 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Don't bleach out the liner...

Very important... Did you always test and retest and retest in order to be confident of your CYA level before starting a SLAM? I think I've also read on here that a an actual pool CYA level under 30 , will not test accurately. If this is true, I'd be skeptical of any CYA result at or below 30. I always add stabilizer until I get a reading of at least 35 just to make me feel more confident about the test result, and I keep testing until I get the same result at least a couple times in a row, because knowing the true CYA is so critical to managing the TFP way.
    7600 gallon; 18'X54" round; vinyl; sand filter and 110V pump, 2-speed.
    Near Cookeville, TN--1/2-way between Nashville--Knoxville along I-40; Highland Rim part of the Appalachian Plateau (we call the Cumberland Plateau for the southern half of this geological region).

3. Back To Top    #3

The other key is that you must always test FC the way it's spelled out in SLAM instructions, and it must be an unexpired FAS-DPD kit.

As for liquid chlorine, including 8.25% bleach, I'd say but don't know, because it's liquid and much less concentrated than trichlor, dichlor, or Cal-hypo, that it would both mix and dilute much better and far less likely to drop to the floor in high concentrations, although, I think dichlor dissolves very quickly if I remember correctly.
    7600 gallon; 18'X54" round; vinyl; sand filter and 110V pump, 2-speed.
    Near Cookeville, TN--1/2-way between Nashville--Knoxville along I-40; Highland Rim part of the Appalachian Plateau (we call the Cumberland Plateau for the southern half of this geological region).

4. Back To Top    #4

The majority of the time brittle liners point back to a low pH level. What pH did you maintain the pool at the majority of the time??