Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to get acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to get acid

I currently only go to the pool store to get the ~30% muriatic acid. Is that usually the best deal or is there another method of getting better pricing on acid?
    ~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to get acid

Home Depot or Lowes in the garden department near the pool chemicals.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't they have the lesser concentrated acid?

4. Back To Top    #4

Question Re: Best way to get acid

In the pool section, yes, sometimes it is the lower concentration-- ~14.5 Baume, I believe.

Instead, take a walk over to the paint department... It's exactly the same as the pool acid, just labeled for a different purpose-- and it's the full 31 baume concentration, and almost certainly cheaper per gallon than what you are paying at the pool store.

I remember one time, I think it was @ Ace hardware, I discovered it stocked near the cement/concrete... It was being sold as a concrete cleaner.... But it was labeled as 31 Baume Muriatic Acid... If I remember correctly, it might even (rarely) be labeled as hydrochloric acid... But as long as it's 31 Baume it's the right stuff.

Of course, there's no harm in using the lower concentration.... it just costs a bit more, and you have to use more of it-- but the trade off is that there is less off-gassing and odor, so it can be a little more "user friendly"...

🌵 April 🌸
    Some of my posts may be long... but they're *always* worth it! 🙃

👙 Intex UltraFrame 21' x 52" {~10,000 gal.} 🐠 Krystal Klear 16" Sand Filter 🐳 Pentair Intelliflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed Pump🐬 Borates @ ~50 ppm 🐚 Taylor K-2006 test kit & SpeedStir🌀

5. Back To Top    #5

You should see something like this:

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, our Lowes has both, 31.45% and 15%. The 31.45% 2 packs are on a "stock" aisle in the back of the store near the rear door to lawn and garden on a pallet.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. I will check it out at Lowe's next time. The pool store 2 gallons is getting up to about 14 and change after taxes. I'll see if there's a cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot

8. Back To Top    #8

I've taken pooldv's advice and gone to Lowes garden/pool area...you can get a 2-pak for 12 & change w the approx. 31.5% muratic acid...buying anything less concentrated, take the delta and then at it to 1.0 [1.15] and times by your buying price at the pool store and that how much more you will pay to get the higher con at lowes.. higher con, less you have to use and carry, buy greater risk of inhaling fumes...ALWAYS pour w wind to your back and pool to your front
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

9. Back To Top    #9

The pool $tore closest to my house is actually very close in price to Lowes. But, their attitude is poor and I don't like dealing with them I'll drive a little further to Lowes....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Modawg2k View Post
    Thanks everyone. I will check it out at Lowe's next time. The pool store 2 gallons is getting up to about 14 and change after taxes. I'll see if there's a cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That seems like about double what I'm paying, although I did have to pay the deposit on the bottles and crate upfront. Any HASA dealers near you? http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    That seems like about double what I'm paying, although I did have to pay the deposit on the bottles and crate upfront. Any HASA dealers near you? http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php
    According to their website there are. I've never heard of them. I'll have to check out a nearby dealer