Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much acid do you have to add?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much acid do you have to add?

Hey everyone, new to the SWG world... I am about a week in so far. I have been having to add acid to keep my PH down. at this rate it looks like it is going to take about 1 gallon a month... is that typical?

Ill update my signature.... I am now running an IC40 and have borates in my water.
    7-10 year old In ground 20,000 gal, Aquabright ecofinish W/ Spa, waterfall and infinity jet, 60 sq foot DE filter, Single speed pump, Racer cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How much acid do you have to add?

... I'm a gallon a week.

Where do you keep your pH and TA?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

About a quart a week for 16K gallons and no SWG. That's more than you use given relative sizes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
    Hey everyone, new to the SWG world... I am about a week in so far. I have been having to add acid to keep my PH down. at this rate it looks like it is going to take about 1 gallon a month... is that typical?

Ill update my signature.... I am now running an IC40 and have borates in my water.
    That doesn't sound unreasonable for a plaster pool. Did you put the borates in? How stable has your pH and TA been?

sidenote: How have you been testing your FC without the FAS-DPD test? Your test listed doesn't test higher than 5, right? You can get just the missing FAS-DPD test at TFTestskits.net TFTestkits.net
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Good catch, YS. Tell us your pH and TA as Brian requested and maybe there are some tweaks you can do to reduce the MA demand/pH rise.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just over a quart per week. I add 1 litre. The pool is 12k gallon plaster, SWC and 5 months old.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, My PH last night was 7.6 ( I have been targeting 7.4) and my TA is 60.

I put the borates in... I have only been on the SWG a little over a week. So I will keep monitoring the levels. I have the cell on 100% witht the pump running 9 hours a night... My Chlorine levels have been around 5 in the AM and 3 in the PM.

One thing that may be contributing is the spillway on the spa. AFAICT the automatic valves on the EASYTOUCH always go 180 degrees when activated. I really need one of them to turn 90 degrees so that the spillway in the spa is not active... this is definitely adding more aeration which as I understand will raise PH.
    7-10 year old In ground 20,000 gal, Aquabright ecofinish W/ Spa, waterfall and infinity jet, 60 sq foot DE filter, Single speed pump, Racer cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

You probably already know this but the valves are fairly easy to adjust you just have to take them apart to adjust the cams. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to. That being said in your situation it might be a good idea to add another manual valve after the powered valve so you can manually control the volume without having to adjust the cams each time you want a different effect.

Oh and for reference I am at around 50 oz per week in a fairly new pool
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

9. Back To Top    #9

Is there a reason you are targeting PH of 7.4? Ideal PH is generally 7.6 to 7.8. Your PH might be stable in that range.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

You should be using almost no acid. SWGs should be ph neutral.

Keep the ph at 7.8, the CYA at 60 to 70 and don't raise the TA.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    You should be using almost no acid. SWGs should be ph neutral.

Keep the ph at 7.8, the CYA at 60 to 70 and don't raise the TA.
    It seems this is more often the case with vinyl pools, at least that's when I've seen it mentioned the most.

Regardless of my TA (as low as 50) with a pH of 7.8, the pH is always rising.

I know the theory is due to the hydrogen gas production within the cell creating aeration and ultimately outgassing but that doesn't explain why some pools are effected and others aren't.

Make up water probably has a little to do with pH and TA rise (especially those with very high TA fill water) but I know that it alone cannot account for all of it.
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

12. Back To Top    #12

For a concrete pool with a 0.0 CSI, the ph should eventually level out. Maybe go 7.9 ph and 40 TA.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post

I put the borates in... I have only been on the SWG a little over a week. So I will keep monitoring the levels. I have the cell on 100% witht the pump running 9 hours a night... My Chlorine levels have been around 5 in the AM and 3 in the PM.

Do you see something odd here?- that you're running your SWG that long at 100% and your FC is only 5??

As I mentioned a few posts ago, your test results don't go any higher, right? SO you really don't know how high your FC is and you're running the SWG much more than necessary. Which may be contributing to your labile pH.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    For a concrete pool with a 0.0 CSI, the ph should eventually level out. Maybe go 7.9 ph and 40 TA.
    I know that's pretty close to equilibrium and why that would work but it isn't possible in my pool. I'd use too much acid to keep the TA down and the pH would rise too slowly to balance out the CSI. By the time the pH made it to 7.8 the TA would be 60-70. I've tried on several occasions.
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm most interested in this thread because I'm working on lowering my acid consumption, but FWIW regarding the sidenote, running an IC40 for 9 hours at 100% in a 25,000 gal pool provides 2.5 ppm per day, which seems reasonable. Agree it would be much better to have FAS-DPD testing to know where you're at.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    I know that's pretty close to equilibrium and why that would work but it isn't possible in my pool. I'd use too much acid to keep the TA down and the pH would rise too slowly to balance out the CSI. By the time the pH made it to 7.8 the TA would be 60-70. I've tried on several occasions.
    Brian,

Did you ever borate your water?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Yep... No noticeable change.

I'm going to try 80 ppm this summer and see what that does
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

18. Back To Top    #18

I am adding a full container (7 lbs) of dry acid every week or two. Working on lowering my TA to get in balance. TA started at 100, now 70. pH is much more stable now, but still rises. May have to go to 60 TA next.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Yep... No noticeable change.

I'm going to try 80 ppm this summer and see what that does
    What's the pH/TA of your fill water?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTX View Post
    I am adding a full container (7 lbs) of dry acid every week or two. Working on lowering my TA to get in balance. TA started at 100, now 70. pH is much more stable now, but still rises. May have to go to 60 TA next.
    Is there a reason you are using dry acid? Is muriatic acid not available?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    What's the pH/TA of your fill water?
    8.0/90

I don't really mind the acid usage. I only posted to show the OP that his was far from excessive.

My bigger issue is the buildup of chloride from so much acid mainly because my acid pump stops dosing when the salinity reaches 4200ppm
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast